Official Review: Love Through All Strife by J. P. Hogan

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
B Creech
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Measure of Ella
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-creech.html
Latest Review: Death's Companion by James Meenagh

Official Review: Love Through All Strife by J. P. Hogan

Post by B Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love Through All Strife" by J. P. Hogan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In San Torino, the capital city of the small Central American republic of Cuchacamba, nineteen-year-old Luis Alfonsin had recently accepted a job as the new president's assistant secretary. He had hoped for a military assignment; however, in his current role, he was occasionally sent to dangerous areas to deliver messages to military leaders, so the position held a level of suspense and excitement. While attending a gathering at President Don Manuel's palace, Luis met the president's daughter, Sophia, and fell in love with her. Before Luis and Sophia could pursue a relationship, his life is shattered in an instant when Bernardo Rojas and his army overtake the government of San Torino. Luis discovers Sophia was kidnapped, and he is determined to find her. He escapes from San Torino on foot and begins his search, never suspecting the dangers awaiting him along the way. Can Luis survive alone amidst all the unrest in his country? Does he find Sophia, or has she met her demise?

In the book, Love Through all Strife: A Tale of War, Passion, and Adventure, J. P. Hogan weaves a tale of suspense, war, and romance. This historical fiction has all the elements that will encourage the reader to keep turning the pages. Luis Alfonsin battled his way around the countryside in search of his one true love. Along the way, he lived and fought with a native tribe, a missionary, an elderly 'witch,' and a group of peasants that became his 'army.' There are some violent segments in the battles Luis fought that may not appeal to some readers.

The author did an outstanding job developing a diverse group of characters Luis met along the way in his search for Sophia. That is what I liked most about this book. I was pleased to find only two incidences of profanity and no erotic content. This book is an example of how a story can be enthralling and exciting without profanity and sexual content.

What I disliked most was the length of time Luis spent with people he met along his journey. At times, I felt as if he had forgotten his mission was to search for Sophia.

I was disappointed to discover a significant amount of errors, especially in the wording. In some sentences, there was repetition, while in other sentences, words were missing. I did find it distracting as I read. Professional editing would be a significant improvement.

If not for the book's number of errors, I would have given it a four-star rating. However, I must remove one star. I enjoyed reading Love Through All Strife by J. P. Hogan; therefore, I am rating it 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to historical fiction fans of all ages. If you love action, romance, and adventure, you are sure to enjoy this book.

Love Through All Strife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
Godspraise Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godspraise-precious.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Godspraise Precious »

I love historical fiction books. I enjoy reading them and to think this one explores topics I find interesting is more reason why I would pick it up. Great review!
B Creech
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Measure of Ella
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-creech.html
Latest Review: Death's Companion by James Meenagh

Post by B Creech »

Godspraise Precious wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 09:51 I love historical fiction books. I enjoy reading them and to think this one explores topics I find interesting is more reason why I would pick it up. Great review!
Thank you! I enjoyed reading this book. Historical fiction is my favorite genre. If you do get to read it I hope you will enjoy it!
B. Creech

Return to “Historical Fiction”