Review by Mtibza eM -- The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mtibza eM
2021 Reading Goal: 66
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Walt Disney's Way
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by Mtibza eM -- The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Mtibza eM »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pejay Bradley was born in Seoul, South Korea, and came to the United States where she practised law in Florida. This poignant historical fiction book is written by her. This page-turner is about the struggle of South Korea under Japanese rule in the 20th century.

In part one, the book opens up with a delightful woman who has just given birth to a baby boy. This woman is Lady Sougyon, a daughter of Prince Aansoon, meaning she is of a higher class in society. But her life is not perfect, her husband is a gambler and doesn’t stay at home, embarrassing her and her father. They can’t do anything about this as divorce is seen as a disgrace, so they are forced to put up with his bad behaviour. In part three of the book, Embon the son of Lady Sougyon has grown to be this intelligent child who excels in his classes, and now he has been accepted into one of the prestigious universities in Japan and he is delighted to go there. At the university, that’s where he is exposed to the politics of his country. Because South Korea is under Japanese rule, South Koreans are marginalised and oppressed by the Japanese government. Embon befriends three intelligent fellows South Koreans in the university who are devoted to bringing freedom to South Korea. Through this friendship, Embon develops a passion for fighting for his nation.

The trio gets in trouble with the authorities, and they separate. Embon is back at home healing from the torture he endured under the police interrogation when he was arrested. After healing, his mother wants him to marry even though he is not interested. The woman his mother deems suited for him is coming from an interesting family — her father, Mr Seoh, is also in the fight to liberate his country but he is not that active compared to his friend, who is also working with Embon’s close friends from university. Will Embon get reunited with his friends in the struggle through this arranged marriage of his? And if he does, what would be his role in the struggle? Is he also prepared to live in exile and do dangerous work in fighting for his people’s freedom? Quench your curiosity by reading The Vanished by Pejay Bradley.

I enjoyed reading this book. It was beautifully written in a free-flowing English that wasn’t challenging to grasp. The pace was steady, I was gently and magically wafted into this dark era in South Korea, where people were not free and their human rights were abused. The author did an outstanding job in penning this work of fiction which is based on real history, and for that I commend her. This book has made me research more about The First Sino-Japanese War and other big wars in Asia, so I can say that this was such an educative read. The Vanished is written in both the first-person and the second-person narrative because the perspective was switching from character to character throughout the book. The author managed to give the backstory of each character in such a creative way. I also appreciate how the book was well organised into five parts, its presentation was just outstanding.

Mr Seoh, Embon’s father-in-law, was an interesting character in this book. He was working for a big Japanese bank in South Korea and had a steady income to feed his family. So when his friend came to recruit him in fighting for his country, he was conflicted. Yes, he also wanted South Korea to be free from Japanese rule but at the same time, he had a big family that relied on him. Other readers might be against his decision and call him cowardice but I am not because he was also working with his fellow countrymen when he didn’t report their plans to the authorities when they shared them with him. So Mr Seoh was also patriotic, just in an unconventional way. I just hope that they don’t judge him too harshly.

There are multiple scenes of suicide bombings; they are not too graphic as their descriptions were not detailed. There is nothing I disliked about this book, so I joyfully rate it a full 4 out of 4 stars. I came across no grammatical and typographical errors, proofing that it was professionally edited. The book also contains no profane language and sexual scenes, so both the old and the young are accommodated. People who are interested in politics and are into the history of Asia are people I recommend this book to. Arranged marriage, oppression, police brutality, government’s censorship are themes this book covers.

The Vanished
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tarilan
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: First Love by Momi Robins

Post by Tarilan »

I already like Embon. He is a true hero I must say. I mean, having such a dad, being arrested, and marrying a woman you don't want at a time when you're fighting dirty for your country is highly laudable. Thanks for the awesome review.
Saint Bruno
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: I Love You All the Numbers by Eschani Taylor
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I also love it when an author uses a free-flowing and simple language. Thanks for the insightful review and recommendedation.
Sararob06
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

I just started this book and also appreciate the writing style. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Fortune Cats Walking the Dog by Dave Hutchinson

Post by Sou Hi »

I agree with you. Mr. Seoh's choice is reasonable, especially when he aims at letting his children study abroad. This, like Hain said, will be beneficial for the country in the long run. History has proved that his decision was indeed correct, because Mr. Koo's idea failed.
Nqobile771
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: With Endless Love, Me: A borderline's diary by Yanni Logan

Post by Nqobile771 »

Embon could have chosen to continue living a comfortable life but he chose to fight for his people and his country. I did not expect his character to take the direction it did but it goes to show how complex a human being is. The book also exposed me to Korean culture. I liked it. Great review Mtibza.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: Return to Eternity
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: The Not So Great American Novel by James E. Doucette

Post by raluca_mihaila »

It is also a hard decision between doing something for the greater good of the country or doing something for the immediate help of your family. It is a very educational book, full of important lessons. Great job with this engaging and detailed review!
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:

Post by Mtibza eM »

Sararob06 wrote: ↑11 Jan 2021, 10:26 I just started this book and also appreciate the writing style. Thank you for your thoughtful review.
:tiphat: thank you for stopping by. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:

Post by Mtibza eM »

Sou Hi wrote: ↑12 Jan 2021, 02:20 I agree with you. Mr. Seoh's choice is reasonable, especially when he aims at letting his children study abroad. This, like Hain said, will be beneficial for the country in the long run. History has proved that his decision was indeed correct, because Mr. Koo's idea failed.
Thank you for commenting.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:

Post by Mtibza eM »

Nqobile771 wrote: ↑12 Jan 2021, 03:17 Embon could have chosen to continue living a comfortable life but he chose to fight for his people and his country. I did not expect his character to take the direction it did but it goes to show how complex a human being is. The book also exposed me to Korean culture. I liked it. Great review Mtibza.
Thank you for your kind comment. Really appreciate it. :tiphat:
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:

Post by Mtibza eM »

raluca_mihaila wrote: ↑12 Jan 2021, 15:40 It is also a hard decision between doing something for the greater good of the country or doing something for the immediate help of your family. It is a very educational book, full of important lessons. Great job with this engaging and detailed review!

Thank you for stopping by.
MayorE
Currently Reading: Alibi island
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayore.html
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN

Post by MayorE »

I have always had interest in the history between South Korea and Japan so I think this would be a good read for me... thank you for an educative review
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN
Bookishkrish24
Currently Reading: The Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishkrish24.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Bookishkrish24 »

Even I have done a little research on the historical background after I read this book. It was definitely an educative read. Thanks for the review.
OBC Reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unexpected Enemy by Tim Cagle

Post by OBC Reviewer »

This is the current BOTM. A historical fiction regarding Korean struggle against Japan. Should be interesting. Thanks for the nice review
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:

Post by Mtibza eM »

MayorE wrote: ↑13 Jan 2021, 13:34 I have always had interest in the history between South Korea and Japan so I think this would be a good read for me... thank you for an educative review
Definitely! Thank you for stopping by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”