Review by V-20 -- The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
V-20
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-20.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by V-20 -- The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by V-20 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What are you going to do if someone orders you to learn a foreign language, live by their culture, change your name like theirs, and love their country as if it is your own? Will you follow their orders? Or are you going to do what the characters did in this book? If you are curious and want to know more, finish reading my review and you might want to read this book by Pejay Bradley entitled The Vanished.

The story started after Lady Sougyon, daughter of Prince Aansoon from Korea, gave birth to her first child. She hoped to have given birth at nighttime to avoid everyone knowing. Instead, the birth occurred in midsummer at high noon. It was important for Korean mothers to have a son at that time. She did not want everyone to know that she is giving birth because she had no husband. She saw herself as short, stout, and plain. She is always envious of the tall, willowy, and slender ladies in the noble circle. Luckily, her prayers were answered, and she received a handsome and healthy child. She would do anything for her son to make him happy.

Prince Aansoon, also as happy as Lady Sougyon for having a grandchild, searched for the baby's father. After having successfully found the right man, Lady Sougyon found herself getting married at a young age. The baby, whose name is Embon, grew up to be a handsome, smart, and patriotic man. Like all the Koreans at that time, he witnessed how the Japanese invaded their country. Because of this, Embon and his friends committed themselves to bring back what is originally for Korea.

The story focuses on how the Koreans fought for their rights, and how ambitious the Japanese were for wanting to conquer the world. The scenes were easier to imagine if you had at least watched one Korean movie or drama with the same theme. While reading the first two parts of the book, I was not sure where the story will go but I find it interesting since it was a new experience for me. I was not disappointed though, because I enjoyed reading the book up to the last page. It was full of surprises and heartfelt scenes which will make you want to read more of it. Also, I am glad to learn a bit of Korean history along with some Korean terms.

My favorite characters in this book would be Embon and his three friends. They showed what a responsible human being who loved his country would do if everything was taken from them. I liked how the author told the story. The transition was smooth and clear, it feels like you are watching the story from your head. However, there were some brutal scenes described in the story that might not suit the young readers.

Overall, I had a good time reading this historical fiction book. I would recommend it to readers who are curious about the history of other countries since this might give them a glimpse of it. After carefully reading this book, I am glad to say that there were no grammatical errors present. With that, I am rating this book 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading it and hoping for a continuation of the story after the author left it with a tragic ending.

The Vanished
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stay safe! Sending hugs
x Val
Lovela
2021 Reading Goal: 7
Currently Reading: Reagan's Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovela.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Lovela »

I've read only ten pages of "Vanished" by Pejay Bradley, but I was deeply impressed by the book. One of the characters, who I took a liking to from the first pages is a young lady, prince Aansoon' s daughter, lady Sougyon. The young woman loves her son tenderly and wants him to be strong, clever and handsome fellow. Although she is very young she is not afraid of talking to a king and can express her point of view rather honestly. She felt awkwardly when the king asked her about her husband and at that moment her father came to back his daughter up, cause her loved her very much. The young woman is a patriot of her country and she is deeply worried about it's fate. I gonna read the book up to the end. The reviewers, rating the book 4 out of 4 are absolutely right.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”