Review by dtbrannon -- The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dtbrannon
2021 Reading Goal: 24
Currently Reading: Making Sense of Life Explaining Genes & Telepathy
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtbrannon.html
Latest Review: Riven Calyx by Mark Leon Collins

Review by dtbrannon -- The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by dtbrannon »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Vanished" by Pejay Bradley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Vanished by Peajay Bradley, the story initially revolves around three primary characters, then later narrows down to one main character. There are numerous minor characters dispersed throughout the book, all of which are important for various reasons.

The story opens with Lady Sougyon, daughter of Prince Aansoon, preparing for a dinner party. She has recently given birth to her son, named Embon, born in the summer of 1912. The name is derived from Em, for the forest, and bon, for prosperity. Embon is described as having pink features, large dark eyes, and a sharp nose. Features uncommon in most Korean children.

During this period, Japan has assumed control and influence over Korea. The King of Korea has effectively become a puppet ruler of Japan, and the Korean people are not happy with the change.

Embon is pampered from an early age. He does well in school and earns an advanced entry into a prestigious university at Sapporo, in Japan. It is then that he learns of the unfairness of the Korean people at the hands of the oppressive Japanese. Embon learns the value and generosity of having friends and becomes amazed at the sacrifices and selflessness that he observes in people.

The story is mainly told from the third-person point of view, while at other times told from the first-person point of view, depending on which character is speaking. This was a heart-warming tale of the life and people in the country of Korea, beginning from the early 1900s to just before the outbreak of World War 2.

I would definitely recommend this book to any reader interested in historical fiction, and readers wanting to learn more about Korean history, politics, and culture.

What I like most was the descriptions of different social classes encountered among the Korean, Japanese, and Chinese people during the time period reflected in this book. It provided the reader with a better perspective of the various frustrations encountered by people just trying to survive and have a normal life. There was nothing that I disliked about this book.

I have to give this book a rating of four out of four stars based on the creativity and imagination of the writer to bring this story to life. Readers will feel the pain and suffering of the Korean people, during the different periods in the character’s lives. I noticed no profanity in this book, and only three suspected minor grammar errors, which may have actually been listed in such a manner as to provide realism to the story. I look forward to reading more by this author.

The Vanished
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Nmesoma »

Thanks for the review. It was certainly descriptive, and I would say it brings the best aspects of the book forward.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”