Official Review: Battle in Spring Sleet by Lila Rhodes

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nickolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: TROUBLE WATERS by Terrence Winston by Terrence R Winston

Official Review: Battle in Spring Sleet by Lila Rhodes

Post by Nickolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Battle in Spring Sleet" by Lila Rhodes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Battle in Spring Sleet by Lila Rhodes is a historical fiction novel about the battle of Palm Sunday in England during the spring of 1461. The story follows a group of men who survive the battle and look for a way back home. The writer’s style is direct, casual, and informal, while he also uses linguistic terms from the 15th century, thereby successfully placing the reader in the historical setting.

The author introduces the main character, who is named Albin, as well as his cousin, who is nicknamed Birdface. Albin and Birdface are enlisted in King Henry’s army, so they fight against the rebels following Edward of York, who has committed treason. Another man, named George, is in King Henry’s army, but Albin dislikes him because they both want the same woman, who is called Genovefa. Albin is an archer in the battle, so he asks for courage and accurate marksmanship from Saint Sebastian during the morning of the Palm Sunday battle. King Henry’s side begins losing, as the rebels advance, while Albin’s right hand is injured. How will Albin evade the rebels? What will happen to Albin’s companions?

There were plenty of strengths to this book. To begin with, the story contained numerous historical details that were accurate. In particular, the author used language from the 1400s to add authenticity and realism to the text. Additionally, the writer added creativity and originality to the book through the unique storyline of the novel, which is different from other historical fiction stories. What I liked most about the book was that it had tension, suspense, and intense emotion, as the author used cliffhangers and descriptive techniques, thus avoiding creating a dull and uninteresting plot.

What I disliked most about the text was that the author made too many grammatical errors when taking into account the small length of the book. As a result, this novel requires another round of professional editing.

This book will be enjoyed most by fans of historical fiction and medieval England. All the main characters in the story are men, so male readers will find this novel more interesting. Catholic readers will prefer this book since it is written from a Catholic point of view, with references to Catholic monks and saints.

To conclude, this book deserves a score of 3 out of 4 stars. A perfect score was not given to this particular novel because of its grammatical mistakes. Nevertheless, I could not justify giving it a lower rating, as it was original, authentic, historically accurate, and exciting.

Battle in Spring Sleet
View: on Bookshelves
Reviewer100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer100.html
Latest Review: Awakening the Soul of Power by Christian de la Huerta

Post by Reviewer100 »

I think I like the character of Albin, but I hope this wouldn't be a gory and graphic novel. Good review.
AtienoMagero
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atienomagero.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by AtienoMagero »

Wonderful review! Your review has been helpful and provided me great insight about this book. This seems like an interesting historical fiction book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”