Official Review: The Secrets of Gabriel in the council of...

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Readerjorge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerjorge.html
Latest Review: The Secrets of Gabriel in the council of the Gods by Zents K Sowunmi

Official Review: The Secrets of Gabriel in the council of...

Post by Readerjorge »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Secrets of Gabriel in the council of the Gods" by Zents K Sowunmi.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Secrets of Gabriel in the council of the Gods, Dr. Zents K. Sowunmi presents an analysis of the three Abrahamic religions: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. He highlights the role performed by the angel Gabriel, who is a common factor in these religions in terms of the messages he conveyed to each one. In addition, other African religions are briefly discussed.

The author states the content of this book is purely academic and is not written to disrespect any of the aforementioned religions. Similarly, it is unintended to discourage anyone from changing their belief or faith. The book is organized into four parts, and each is divided into titles. In the first part, the bases of each of the three Abrahamic religions are exposed. As for the other three parts, it is not clear how they were grouped but they allow the author to advance in his analysis until reaching a conclusion.

Most of the book has an educational focus. It exposes the foundations of Judaism and how Christianity originated after the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and was spread out by Paul and other apostles beyond Israel. Later, Christianity expanded to the whole world. Plus, the book mentions how the Prophet Muhammad founded Islam after angel Gabriel appears to him. In other parts of the book, Dr. Sowunmi expresses his thoughts by making interesting evaluations; they are based principally on the messages transmitted by the angel Gabriel. In the same way, various citations from the Bible, the Torah, and the Quran are referenced to support the author's ponderings.

Dr. Sowunmi demonstrates extensive knowledge of religious subjects. Indeed, what I liked the most was that I learned many interesting aspects, especially about Islam, of which I knew little. I also liked the author didn't try to impose an opinion or bias in his assessment. On the contrary, he presents the elements that he takes into account in his appraisals and encourages the readers to carry out their own analysis.

I disliked that the book demurred some basis of religions, which I consider equivalent to objecting to God's reasoning. For example, the author wonders why God elected Jacob instead of his twin brother Esau to constitute the tribes of Israel. From my point of view, men's understanding cannot be equated with God's.

I like these historical and religious themes, so I enjoyed this read. However, I encountered many editing issues like transcription errors, misplaced words and phrases, and unexpected line breaks. Moreover, I consider the alignment and indentation of the paragraphs should be improved to make the edition more aesthetic. In the same way, it was unclear what logic was applied to group the titles in each part; except for the first one that clearly explained the bases of each religion. Definitively, I think a more thorough review is required to correct the editing issues. Taking into consideration all the above, I consider it appropriate to discount two stars. Therefore, I rate The Secrets of Gabriel in the council of the Gods 2 out of 4 stars.

Although the author explicitly affirms he does not intend to disrespect any religion, I consider that as part of his reasoning and conclusion he raises some polemical objections. These might offend some, especially the most radical ones in each of the three religions analyzed. Hence, I recommend this book only to those who are interested in religious subjects with a rational sense and an open mind. Definitively, it is unsuitable for religiously extremist people.

The Secrets of Gabriel in the council of the Gods

The Secrets of Gabriel in the council of the Gods
View: on Bookshelves
duskdawn09
2021 Reading Goal: 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by duskdawn09 »

I like historical books that focus on religion, so I may have to check this book out great review.
~Dawn :tiphat: ~

Return to “Historical Fiction”