Official Review: Victoria's War by Catherine A. Hamilton

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Re: Official Review: Victoria's War by Catherine A. Hamilton

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I am not gonna lie; historical fiction is not a genre that I typically read. However, I had to stop myself from reading the sample because I was getting too immersed in the story! As hard as it is to read about Victoria's hard life, it is based on what actually happened when the Nazis and Hitler took over. I will be reading this one for sure. Congrats to the author on BOTD! :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
ms_vinkel
Currently Reading: The Stranger
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-vinkel.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by ms_vinkel »

Hiding from the past does not erase it. It only makes us ignorant of what happened.
Yes! And there are times when fictional works like this book can help expose more of the turmoils of the past instead of the dry and short recount on a textbook. Thank you for the review.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

This review makes this book like a wonderful read. I am not particularly drawn to stories like this one, but my husband loves them. I will definitely recommend this one too him and may give it a chance myself in the future.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

This book sounds amazing. It sort of reminds me of Anton Chekhov's Vanka. I can't wait to check this out.
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

It will be interesting reading about a female activist during the great war. Thanks for the captivating review.
mindysreview2019
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mindysreview2019 »

This book of Victoria's War will definitely be put on my "to read" list. It is sad to see how this poor woman was put through all these horrible things. I am so glad and thankful that I was not born during the War, but I am really interested in learning more about this story. It looks like an awesome read! I would definitely recommend this one.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

This sounds like a complicated and very informative look into lives during that period. Great review. I will definitely check it out
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
Parahiyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parahiyo.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Parahiyo »

I admire Victoria's courage and bravery for not giving up during those difficult situations she was going through. Amazing review.
Riya Saini
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Riya Saini »

History has always been harsh and complicated yet it is something we cannot turn our eyes away from. This book seems to depict that and that's what's drawing me towards it. Thank you for the insightful review, I look forward to reading the book.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

I have read a few historical fiction books about the WWII, and I like it that this is just another well-written one, of the same war. Victoria's story is harrowing, but I believe it's a worthy read. Not my favorite. Otherwise, congrats on the BOTD.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

What a heart-wrenching, emotional historical novel! This sounds like a beautifully written and thoroughly researched story of the atrocities that Polish women endured during WWII. Victoria is a good choice for main character, as she is strong, determined and brave. Thanks for the great review!
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

Most of us are used to reading about slavery treatment to africans. It's good that the author took every responsibility to explain what happened to this women and the actions they took.
Saakshi Jain
Currently Reading: My "Enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Saakshi Jain »

It's a historical fiction book. It's nice to go back in time and know more about world war ll, great work!
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by OB Brian »

I have read a couple of historical fictions on WWI and WWII. Yet, none ever touched on the price women paid during this time until this one. It sounds emotional indeed. I look forward to seeing how Victoria and Etta coped with the despair and other hardships that came with the war. Congrats on being the BOTD.
Nisha Ali Saifi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Nisha Ali Saifi »

This book rightly tells the situation of the people who suffered in the WW 2.
It is quite good and tells the actual position of the people. World war 2 was really a sad period of time. The character of Victoria tells about the people were there who actually very brave. The author used the historical period of the war with the character Victoria very rightly. I like it but not very good.

Return to “Historical Fiction”