Official Review: Victoria's War by Catherine A. Hamilton

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Re: Official Review: Victoria's War by Catherine A. Hamilton

Post by Praise GodWord »

I prefer reading historical fiction, especially those surrounding the Second World War. This one worth my time. Great job!
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Prudence Emillian »

As heartbreaking as it is, I love that this book brings to light what the Polish women and their children went through. I also find it inspiring how the women remained strong and courageous despite their troubles and how they were willing to help the other women who were also suffering.
MayorE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayore.html
Latest Review: Remarkably Intact by Celia Belt

Post by MayorE »

Seems like a sad story but a captivating read. Unfortunately, it can happen in our world today. Congratulations on book of the day
buttercake20+_Modupe Bello
Currently Reading: The Miller's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buttercake20-modupe-bello.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by buttercake20+_Modupe Bello »

A great number of ugly things did happen in the past during the wars. This story is a factual account of the situations faced by polish women during WWII. Some scenes might be disturbing, but history can't be ignored.
Gehm
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gehm.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by Gehm »

The books seems to portray lost bits of information in our history which we may have turned a blind eye to. It brings to light how cruel some people can be and how much we are supposed to stand firm in difficult times. The review is as equally intriguing as the book, it calls you out to touch and read the book even when historical fiction is what you want. A review well done!
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

Thank you for such an intense and truthful review. I could tell from the few pages I read before coming here, that it would be an intense book. Your very interesting review showed me the extras that I needed to know.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

War creates ugly, revolting, even downright evil situations; it brings out the worst in many people and, in pushing back against that, the best in others. WWII was particularly ugly and turned many people against their fellow countrymen, so it only makes sense that a historical novel book set anywhere under Nazi German rule would have horrible scenes. We can’t just ignore them. This book sounds great for raising awareness regarding another group that the Nazis mistreated while also providing a little hope in the darkness. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

I'm shocked at the kind of dehumanization that went on during the Second World War. The Polish Catholic women were indeed brave. All the stories recounted about wars show that it's a horrible experience.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thanks for an interesting review. Historical fiction books aren't my thing but, this sound interesting and compelling.
Bernard Udofia
Favorite Author: Biz Stone
Currently Reading: Things a Little Bird Told Me: Confessions of the Creative Mind
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bernard-udofia.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright
fav_author_id: 72309

Post by Bernard Udofia »

It isn't surprising that Victoria's dehumanizing experience at the hands of the Germans threatened her faith. Her story was even more gripping given that it was tied to historical facts about the subjugation of Polish people.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

This is a super amazing read which seeks to explore about human beings and wars. Intense and fast paced read. Congratulations on the book of the day.
Estyluv
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Estyluv »

This is a touching review based on a more touching story. Though fictional, it still recounts the bad effects of war in real life. My heart goes out for the women maltreated during WWII. Nice review.
Elisa Mori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-mori.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Elisa Mori »

History books are never easy to read, but reading all the atrocities the Nazis have committed helps understanding what was like living during the war. I've read many books about this period and the pain that those people suffered always struck me.
Yusuf11
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Yusuf11 »

The book really sounds interesting. These are things that happen in real life and few people talk about them. I feel sad about what Victoria had to go through. Not mentioning the polish women. The author did a great job for bringing this to attention. Great review!
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

This is a very intense book About friendship, courage, and survival in a time where life was so much difficult for them. How a human treats another in such a cruel way is always scary. But human is also very ignorant not only about past events but also about present.

Return to “Historical Fiction”