Official Review: another song in her heart

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Official Review: another song in her heart

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "another song in her heart" by Everett jackson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Another Song in Her Heart by Everett T. Jackson is a historical fiction book based on a true story. It tells about the life of a woman who endures troublesome situations throughout her life. Despite constantly facing obstacles and disappointments, she manages to keep the hope of someday achieving her dream of being able to succeed in the ambit of music. The story begins with the birth of Beverly Tyler in the mid-1950s in Jacksonville, Florida. Details of her childhood and adolescence are recounted, highlighting some experiences she lived in school and college. Beverly loves music and has a rich contralto voice. She equally has songwriting skills, but will she triumph in the complex world of music?

This brief book of only 90 pages is adequately organized into five chapters; each one focuses on specific aspects of Beverly's life, for instance: 'School Memories', 'Transition to Adulthood', and ‘Personal Changes – Struggles, Tragedy, and Triumphs.’ Simultaneously, the book follows a chronological order while relating her story. The narration is in the third-person perspective from Beverly's point of view. The writing style resembles telling a biography. However, there is an implicit plot in the unfolding of Beverly's life. Besides her, there are other characters with meaningful participation. These are generally properly described and embedded in the story. Unsurprisingly, these characters are people close to Beverly, like her parents (James and Evelyn Tyler), her teachers, her best friends (Diana and Arline), and the two men she was ever married to (Richard Clark and Warren Brown).

What I liked the most was that the protagonist consistently kept her dreams and plans, despite all the hardships she had to combat. Also, I liked the story was unpredictable, relatable, and captivating. I disliked that some significant events occur very abruptly while other less relevant were devoted more room. Given the moment in which the story develops, some transcendental events are somehow part of the story's environment. For example, the assassination of Martin Luther King and the rise of the civil rights movement.

The editing is outstanding as I saw no errors or typos. However, I encountered that the expression "Arline didn’t want to continue to sing because she wanted to teach school and had just gotten married" is repeated in position 398 and then in position 413. That expression is used as a justification for two different facts that are chronologically close to each other. I think the first appearance of the phrase is misplaced or at least it transmits that perception.

I enjoyed Another Song in Her Heart. The story is entertaining and the writing style is engaging as the author narrates a novel as if it were a biography or vice versa. Moreover, the book conveys an inspiring message about believing that dreams can be achieved, and one must strive to try to make them come true. For all that said, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it for those who like a touching story about people who, in spite of facing difficulties in their lives, still struggle to accomplish their goals.

Another Song in Her Heart

another song in her heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Dreams and hope are two powerful forces in life. They can influence your tenacity through thick and thin. I enjoyed reading your review.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.

Return to “Historical Fiction”