Official Review: The Centurions Man by Michael Sansone

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: The Centurions Man by Michael Sansone

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Centurions Man" by Michael Sansone.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cornelius was the senior centurion of the Tenth Legion. He followed the successful political path paved for him by his father. This Roman centurion became enthralled with Ada, a Jewish woman. Cornelius invited Ada’s brother, Solomon, to stay with him with the promise of teaching him Roman gladius tactics. Solomon and Cornelius became close friends, as Cornelius’ love for Ada grew. Cornelius paid close attention as a Jewish scribe explained the Jewish marriage laws. Will Cornelius follow his heart or continue his rise to power in the Roman senate?

Jesus the Nazarene was performing miracles and gaining a reputation for causing unrest among the people. People reported healings and the miraculous appearance of wine at a wedding in Cana. Cornelius was curious about this rabbi and his healing abilities. Would Jesus be able to heal his servant, Solomon, from a poisoned dagger wound? Did Cornelius consider the repercussions of a personal encounter with this rabbi?

The Centurions Man by Michael Sansone is a romantic historical fiction novel set in Jerusalem at the time of Jesus, the biblical Messiah. The author did a fantastic job of recreating the setting and the political situation in Jerusalem at the time of Jesus’ crucifixion. The photos inserted in the narrative enrich the story and help readers picture the characters and the environment. Familiar biblical names like Herod, Pilate, Barabbas, Saul, and others, immerse readers in the historical background. The political intrigue and the love story between a Jewish maiden and a Roman centurion encouraged readers to ponder the clash between the differing beliefs of the Jews and the Romans.

The story highlighted sensitive themes such as discrimination, slavery, interracial marriages, and human trafficking. Readers will also learn about Jewish customs and religious beliefs. The author presented the biblical facts in a historical setting without preaching or sermonizing. Christians might enjoy this story to a greater degree due to the biblical setting and characters.

This book needs another round of editing. This is what I least liked about the book. Spelling mistakes like “where” for “were” and “dessert” for “desert” frequently occurred in the text. For the most part, this is a clean read. Only a few sexual remarks and profanities appeared in the narrative and were used to portray the Roman soldiers’ rude and boisterous behavior.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This intriguing story carries the reader back to Jerusalem and fills in creative details about people who interacted with the biblical Jesus. The fascinating relationships the Roman centurion developed with his Jewish servant, Solomon, and his sister, Ada, will captivate the readers’ attention. Sadly, there were too many errors to award a full score. This book would appeal to readers who enjoy stories that give life to characters that receive only a passing reference in the biblical accounts. Romance fans will enjoy the forbidden love that entangles Cornelius and Ada and their families. History students might be interested in learning about Roman centurions, Roman law, and Jewish customs.

The Centurions Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

Having read one historical fiction book about Cornelius, I'm eager to see how he fares in this one. The romance with a Jewish woman sounds intriguing. Thanks for a great review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Juliet+1 wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 15:46 Having read one historical fiction book about Cornelius, I'm eager to see how he fares in this one. The romance with a Jewish woman sounds intriguing. Thanks for a great review!
You will find that Cornelius has quite an adventure! I hope you enjoy this author's creative account of the centurion. Thanks for reading and commenting.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

I adore the tinge of romance given to this biblical account. It's really a book I would love to read and enjoy. Thanks.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Eutoc wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 06:14 I adore the tinge of romance given to this biblical account. It's really a book I would love to read and enjoy. Thanks.
The romance that was added to the centurion's story kept it interesting. It makes you wonder how often this could have happened! Thanks for commenting.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I read a book with a similar topic just a few weeks ago, so your review is timely. Great work!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Great review . The book seems to be an interesting read, I'll have to try this out.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 10:58 I read a book with a similar topic just a few weeks ago, so your review is timely. Great work!
Yes! I am wondering how the two stories compare. Cornelius is an intriguing character. Thanks for commenting!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 12:28 Great review . The book seems to be an interesting read, I'll have to try this out.
I hope you enjoy it. The author's creative ideas will keep you intrigued and entertained. Thanks for reading and commenting.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

This story never goes stale. I am glad that you enjoyed this one too. Thanks for the insightful review and recommendation.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Thank you for a concise account of this book. It sounds like something I would enjoy, once the editing has been addressed.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Saint Bruno wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 00:36 This story never goes stale. I am glad that you enjoyed this one too. Thanks for the insightful review and recommendation.
The author does present an interesting perspective by creating a backstory for these characters. It makes for a new look at a well-known story. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 337
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Cloudless Love by Robert Carrick
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

"romantic historical fiction novel set in Jerusalem at the time of Jesus"
This just blows my mind! I mean, I know there was romance going on, but I didn't realize that people wrote about it.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

djr6090 wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 08:09 Thank you for a concise account of this book. It sounds like something I would enjoy, once the editing has been addressed.
Well, I hope you have an opportunity to read it. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

diana lowery wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 11:08 "romantic historical fiction novel set in Jerusalem at the time of Jesus"
This just blows my mind! I mean, I know there was romance going on, but I didn't realize that people wrote about it.
The author created a wonderful story using the background story of Jesus and the centurion. I loved reading this story from this creative perspective. I hope you have a chance to read it, too! Thanks so much for commenting.

Return to “Historical Fiction”