Official Review: Father's Violin by John Hope

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
pricklypurple
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: Hungry in Hollywood by Deanna Pak

Official Review: Father's Violin by John Hope

Post by pricklypurple »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Father's Violin" by John Hope.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hertz is growing up in Berlin during the height of World War II. His parents are not supporters of the Nazi party, and the family is just trying to live and to survive the terrible times. Hertz's father plays the violin professionally, and he teaches his technique to his young son. It is not until the war leaves Hertz and his sister orphaned that Hertz truly begins to appreciate the power of music and the ability he has to create some beauty in a world of chaos. 

Father's Violin by John Hope is a young adult novel. It is historical fiction for the fact that it relates real events that occurred after World War II ended. It details what happened when the Soviets and Americans occupied Berlin. It is also, at its core, a story about art and music and the interconnectedness of all people. 

This is a beautiful book with lots of lessons and tidbits for readers to take away. I really enjoyed this story. It was short and concise with a sufficient amount of plot for its length. There was good use of flashbacks to depict Hertz's life before the war ended juxtaposed with his present-day situation in the aftermath of the war. 

My favorite part of this novel was the way the author used music as a way to connect the characters. I found the underlying messages simple and beautiful. I also enjoyed that this book showed a side of Germany not too often portrayed in World War II stories. There was an emphasis on the regular citizens who were not part of the Nazi party but still suffered the consequences that the war brought about for them after the fact. I realize that from the perspectives of the main characters in this book, the Soviets and sometimes the Americans are considered the bad guys. However, this was probably my least favorite part of the book. It felt a little one-sided in its execution. There may be a lot of historical accuracy, but I didn't like the way certain characters were vilified throughout the book.

Overall, this was a great novel that can be enjoyed by both young and old readers. It seemed professionally edited, and I only noticed a couple of minor editing errors. I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is a well-developed story and kept my attention. The only reason I'm reluctant to give it four stars is because of the one-sidedness of the story. I would recommend it to young readers for its life lessons and to older readers who are interested in novels about music or World War II. It is a short but sweet tale that I'm sure will linger in your mind for awhile after reading it. 

Father's Violin
View: on Bookshelves

Nqobile771
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Spanish Flu vs Covid-19, which is the worst pandemic? by Farzana Prior

Post by Nqobile771 »

Music has a way of healing and speaking to the soul. Great review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Weeper by Greg Morgan

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like a powerful and emotionally charged book that celebrates the importance of music during trying times. Thanks so much for your eloquent review.
Latest Review: Weeper by Greg Morgan

AbbeylincolnSty
Currently Reading: The Intelligence Factor
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbeylincolnsty.html
Latest Review: Breakers by Barry Litherland

Post by AbbeylincolnSty »

Music is truly a useful tool to connect people. Depending on the mood of the music, it can make you smile or laugh. No wonder people listen to foreign music and are able to connect, even though they may not know the lyrics. Good music travels all over the world without a visa.

Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

Music is certainly a great healer and can bring worlds together. Great review!
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:

Gueen fish
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Gueen fish »

Music was powerful to bring the people's together father volivin
Last edited by Gueen fish on 12 Oct 2020, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: The Cadence of Excellence by Matthew McDarby

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I love the violin, but I have never been privileged to learn how to play. Meanwhile, I'll just keep reading books that centre on it.

Tarilan
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Tarilan »

Music is medicine that soothes the heart. Am sure this is a good book. Thanks for the review.

HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

Post by HannahsReads »

This sound like an interesting children's book! I read a lot of children's books and I don't think I have ever seen one set in the post-WWII era. Thanks for your review!

Kate Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-park.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kate Park »

Your review of this book reminds me of another book called The Book Thief. I loved that book when I read it years ago, and if this book is similar, I'm sure I would enjoy it as well.

raluca_mihaila
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: Manaskd
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Post by raluca_mihaila »

A book about WW2 and the power of music seems like a perfect match! Like a lighter version of "The Pianist". Congratulations for the informative review!

Return to ‚ÄúHistorical Fiction‚ÄĚ