Official Review: Weeper by Greg Morgan

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Beyond Dreams by Carlotta Amerio

Official Review: Weeper by Greg Morgan

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Weeper" by Greg Morgan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When people died in the mid-eighteen hundreds, it was common for families to employ the skills of warners and weepers. Warners would ensure the dead were ready for burial, and weepers were paid to attend funerals and weep for those who had passed. While both were crucial aids for the families in mourning, they did not mix—they most certainly did not fall in love.

Married warner, Archer True, is besotted with weeper, Charlotte Fenn. They carry on a secret affair, which results in Charlotte becoming pregnant. Knowing they can never be together, Charlotte agrees to allow Archer and his wife to take her baby, Augustus, and raise him as their own. Charlotte is heartbroken and secretly tries to follow Augustus' movements over the years.

Augustus True has always been treated differently than his siblings—it seemed like his very presence irritated Mrs. True, who didn't hide her disdain for him. When he and his brother, Jefferson, are sent away to a prestigious military school, he is excited about the experience. Still, he quickly learns that his happiness is premature when it is revealed that his parents sold him to the school to work as payment for Jefferson's education.

Why would his parents do this to him, and how will he overcome other cadets' constant bullying?

Weeper by Greg Morgan is a story about love, loss, and resilience. The emotionally driven book spans the decades between 1840 and 1887—starting in the Allegheny Mountains of Pennsylvania. The family saga is written from the third-person perspective. It follows Charlotte Fenn, Archer True, and Augustus True as they grapple with war, illness, and losing loved ones. At nearly four hundred pages, the reading journey was long but unequivocally rewarding.

In the past, I tended to steer clear of historical fiction. In particular, stories that took place during the war, but am I ever happy that I chose to push aside my previous reservations to make room for this literary gem! One of my favorite aspects of the story was learning tidbits about the battles that took place during the Civil War, and, of course, the eye-opening world of the funeral business. Maybe I had been living under a rock, but before being enlightened by the author, I had no prior knowledge regarding the art of weeping.

I fell in love with Augustus' character—from his troublesome childhood stutter to his sheer determination to rise above his parents' reprehensible behavior, he continuously showed he was able to weather any storm. Moreover, I was delighted to learn that he earned his stripes not by fighting in the war, but by caring for the severely injured. I always cheer for the underdog, and in this case, I was cheering for Augustus. Needless to say, his character evolution was my favorite part of the book.

I feel compelled to talk about the author's decision to explore the plight of forbidden love. While there were many heartbreaking scenes, I commend the author for providing the harsh reality—sometimes love, on its own, isn't enough. Sometimes, the odds are not stacked in our favor, and the stars cannot align.

While I could sing the book's praises from the top of my lungs, the writing had one irksome quality. I found that the story was going along at a relatively steady pace until the last quarter. Without giving anything away, I was surprised by a specific outcome, which led to me having to go back a few chapters to see if I'd missed something. It turns out, I didn't miss anything, but the scene of importance was absent from the story. The author could easily rectify this by making sure to expand upon changes to important relationships.

Weeper was impressively written, and I found no issues with grammar or spelling. It was beautifully formatted and had insightful quotes at the beginning of each chapter. With that being said, I believe this masterpiece deserves the highest rating. I have chosen to give the book a rating of four out of four stars—it's character-driven, unique, and undeniably endearing.

I would recommend the book to readers who are fans of family dramas spanning many years. Those who love books that take place around the nineteenth century will enjoy this period piece. I would not recommend the book to readers looking for a quick, light read; Weeper is long and emotionally taxing.

Weeper
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Joan642 »

What an interesting storyline. It's really hard when people fall in love but the circumstances they find themselves in prevents them from being together. Nice job on the review.

lucila_84
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by lucila_84 »

Fall in love but not in the right time .
They tend to meet each but not for meant.
I could say that, it's a love to stay in the heart ❤ but not for life 💐.

Tablito
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Tablito »

Given the ill-treatment that Augustus was accorded by his parents, he had to be strong for his own sake. I hope his brother, Jefferson, was different.

Saint Bruno
Currently Reading: The Great Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: A Rational Philosophy of Life by Hermann Raith

Post by Saint Bruno »

This is an insightful and engaging review.Thanks for pointing me in its direction.

SamaylaM
Currently Reading: The Shoeshine Boy
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by SamaylaM »

The premise of this story is so tragic and compelling! I'd gladly give this book a try because from your review, it seems worth a read. Wonderful work!

Stephanie Elizabeth

Joan642 wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 06:44
What an interesting storyline. It's really hard when people fall in love but the circumstances they find themselves in prevents them from being together. Nice job on the review.
Thanks for your thoughtful comment :)

Stephanie Elizabeth

lucila_84 wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 07:59
Fall in love but not in the right time .
They tend to meet each but not for meant.
I could say that, it's a love to stay in the heart ❤ but not for life 💐.
Thanks for reading and commenting!

Stephanie Elizabeth

Tablito wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 11:50
Given the ill-treatment that Augustus was accorded by his parents, he had to be strong for his own sake. I hope his brother, Jefferson, was different.
He was definitely treated unfairly--especially by Mrs. True. Thanks for your insightful comment.

Stephanie Elizabeth

Saint Bruno wrote:
08 Oct 2020, 12:41
This is an insightful and engaging review.Thanks for pointing me in its direction.
Thank you :)

Olabode Joshua
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 200
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: 13.0.0.0.0 by Ernest Porter
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

I can tell you, I'm close to swearing. Why would they betray such an innocent child? Oh, I'm emotionally attached to this story already and I can see why you rated it four out of four. Kudos to you, Stephanie Elizabeth.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm

AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

This art of warning and weeping is also a very shocking revelation to me! And indeed, this book is endearing; everything about it calls me. I must also mention that your review is a masterpiece too.
Live and let live, baby!

Stephanie Elizabeth

Olabode Joshua wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 09:34
I can tell you, I'm close to swearing. Why would they betray such an innocent child? Oh, I'm emotionally attached to this story already and I can see why you rated it four out of four. Kudos to you, Stephanie Elizabeth.
I share in that sentiment--there were definitely a few moments that I wanted to yell at the characters. But that is a sign of amazing character development on the author's part. Thanks for your thoughtful comment.

Stephanie Elizabeth

AnnOgochukwu wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 09:53
This art of warning and weeping is also a very shocking revelation to me! And indeed, this book is endearing; everything about it calls me. I must also mention that your review is a masterpiece too.
Thanks for your comment!

Kevivas03
2019 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kevivas03 »

A story of hope and love through dire circumstances is encouraging. In my country we have weepers at funerals, the tradition is still alive in Africa.

Return to “Historical Fiction”