Official Review: The Singer and Her Song by N.L. Holmes

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
twinkle09
Currently Reading: Tactile Therapy: Volume One
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twinkle09.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 1 by Tom Wick

Official Review: The Singer and Her Song by N.L. Holmes

Post by twinkle09 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Singer and Her Song" by N.L. Holmes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Singer and Her Song by N.L. Holmes is a historical fiction based in eastern Syria around 1235 BC. It revolves around Uqnitum, a dynamic and exceptionally gifted singer and her family, and their struggle to survive the Assyrian invasion and finding themselves again.

Uqnitum, daughter of famous music composer Tapashihuni lives with her family in the small town of Kahat, in the Mesopotamian kingdom of Mitanni. Her overbearing and perfectionist attitude has driven her sons away from home and reduced her kind and amicable husband into an invisible man. After the fall of Kahat, Uqnitum, her youngest son, her husband, and her pregnant, widowed daughter are imprisoned and forced to walk as slaves towards the Assyrian capital. But even in the face of inhuman torture by their captors, her hatred and anger towards the injustice keeps Uqnitum vigilant, and not let her sorry situation get the better of her. The tragic and terrible death of her youngest son, and her husband respectively, don't deter her from hoping to escape. She flees with her daughter at an opportune moment and arrives at the court of Ugarit as Mittanian singers after much hardship and suffering. While preparing for the king's marriage in Ugarit, she encounters her estranged sons and a former lover. But instead of reconciliation, her deranged personality drives the family apart. Will Uqnitum realize her mistakes and make peace with herself and her family, or will she drive them away again?

I admired the powerful presence of the female protagonist in the book. Uqnitum's jarring and outspoken personality, when juxtaposed against her husband's mellow and kind personality, might make her appear proud and arrogant at the beginning of the book. But if one looks at her through the prism of life, one realizes, her courage, her fortitude in the face of danger, her desperation to protect her children against the world, her defiance, and her fear of turning into a narcissist like her father; all melt and mold together into the person who is Uqnitum. The author skillfully develops her character. Her convictions and her follies make her more human. Other characters have been developed equally with care like the music director at Ugaritic court, Ammu-rapi, and his wife Hutena, whose mediocrity and cheerful personality are counterfoil to Uqnitum's sweeping presence and her disastrous misfortunes. Ultimately in a moment of epiphany, Uqnitum recognizes her weaknesses, which becomes her salvation to redeem herself.

There is nothing I disliked about the book. The addition of maps and historical notes helped in better understanding the characters in hindsight. Though the use of difficult words like ensorcel, amanuensis might make it difficult for the common man to understand and enjoy the book. The presence of minor punctuation errors proves that the book has been professionally edited. The portrayal of violence and cruelty might be disturbing for some people. So sensitive people might be affected by this book. There is a minor amount of profanity found in the book.

For its insightful depiction of characters and understanding of the philosophy of human nature, I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars. No religious sentiments were hurt in the book. I would not recommend this book to teenagers because of its portrayal of violence against people. The book is best suited for a mature audience.

The Singer and Her Song
View: on Bookshelves
Krista Ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-ash.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Krista Ash »

This sounds like an interesting book with a strong female protagonist. I think reading it would greatly benefit my understanding of ancient Syrian culture. I'll have to consider reading it. Thanks for the helpful review!
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Music and human struggles sound like an interesting mix. It is also intriguing how ancient society perceives a dominant female personality. Thank you for the insightful review.
twinkle09
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 1 by Tom Wick

Post by twinkle09 »

Krista Ash wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 16:11 This sounds like an interesting book with a strong female protagonist. I think reading it would greatly benefit my understanding of ancient Syrian culture. I'll have to consider reading it. Thanks for the helpful review!
Yes,certainly. It's not everyday that you find a strong female character leading the way!!
twinkle09

Post by twinkle09 »

sssns wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 18:45 Music and human struggles sound like an interesting mix. It is also intriguing how ancient society perceives a dominant female personality. Thank you for the insightful review.
I thought it interesting too. Music seemed to reflect Uqnitum's life.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

I have previously reviewed another of N. L. Holmes's books and was blown away by the author's skill at evoking setting and, in particular, culture. I'm glad to see she carries the same expertise into her other works as well. Thank you for your review.
twinkle09

Post by twinkle09 »

evraealtana wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 05:18 I have previously reviewed another of N. L. Holmes's books and was blown away by the author's skill at evoking setting and, in particular, culture. I'm glad to see she carries the same expertise into her other works as well. Thank you for your review.
I was quite drawn to the author's depiction of her characters and culture as well. The first few pages were enough to draw my attention. She sure knows her work.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

This book is set in a time so far back, 1235, wow! There are a lot of interesting and unique features about this book. One is the obviously-flawed but admirable protagonist, another is the very interesting and engaging plot.
I enjoyed reading your review. You did a great job.
Live and let live, baby.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A historical fiction based in eastern Syria around 1235 BC and revolving around a strong female protagonist appears quite appealing to me. Thanks for your insightful review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Historical Fiction”