Official Review: Seeds of Deception by Arlene L. Walker

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jachike Samuelson
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 91
Currently Reading: Of Zots & Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jachike-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Seeds of Deception by Arlene L. Walker

Official Review: Seeds of Deception by Arlene L. Walker

Post by Jachike Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Seeds of Deception" by Arlene L. Walker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Seeds of Deception opens up with Sput Louie, a freed African American slave; Benjamin, a freedman and Sput's Cherokee Indian-black husband; and their three sons in the Indian town of Feather Falls. As a means to free her family from their deplorable condition, Sput wants her husband to ask his father, Goliah Lynch, to claim him as his son. This would give Benjamin enough rights and privileges to own land and receive money so that he and his family can have a future. It seems like a good plan except that Goliah and Benjamin hate each other's guts, given their extremely checkered history. After a sour visit from Goliah—also known as Old Crow—Benjamin swallows his pride and goes to beg his father to claim him. The meeting doesn't go as planned. Goliah reveals a terrible secret to Benjamin that seeks to destroy his and his family's entire existence.

Meanwhile, Sput Louie becomes worried after her husband doesn't return from Old Crow's home. She goes to seek help from Two Bird, a wise and respected Cherokee Indian. However, with the United States' continuous encroachment and the growing tension and hostility between African Americans and Native Indians, her plan is looking bad from the get-go. Amid these circumstances, Louie receives a cryptic delivery from her AWOL husband. The content of this package spurs her to make some drastic decisions for herself and her family. What is in the package? Does Two Bird help her? What becomes of Benjamin and his family?

Seeds of Deception was a fantastic story for me. Arlene L. Walker did a splendid job of penning a story with a very tight plot and gripping scenes. This tale was entirely fluff-free, which was refreshing. One of the first things that stood out to me was that in the story, Cherokee Indians had African American slaves. I had heard of this assumption before, so I did a little digging online and found it to be historically accurate. I was both shocked and troubled. Why would an oppressed people turn around and mete out the same measure of oppression to another group of people?

At the end of the book, I found out that this story was inspired by the author's heritage, which was terrific. I also loved the names that Walker used for the characters. Many of them sounded exactly as I expected. Characters like Old Crow, Two Bird, Laughing Boy, and Tiger Tee Hee were just a few examples. I also learned some interesting Tsalagi words (the language spoken by the Cherokee). Examples include osiyo, asgina, tsila, uyo ayelvdi, and watoli, to name a few. I thought the language was gibberish at first. A little research proved otherwise, and I was thankful that it was real. I was also intrigued to discover that the Native Indians are a matrilineal society. Besides the core story, it was clear that the author thoroughly researched Native Indian culture before penning this story.

The world-building and character development were top-notch. I appreciated the author's attention to detail in the former and her sufficient backstories in the latter. The tradition, fashion, medicine, and other aspects of Cherokee life and culture were injected seamlessly into the story. Also, Walker took the time to give enough details about major characters, like Sput Louie, Two Bird, and Goliah. She also used the support characters in the best possible way; they served their purpose to drive the plot forward and nothing more.

Besides the plot, Arlene's writing was clear and concise. She intentionally spelled certain words wrong to fit a character's accent. Still, there was no confusion. My favorite characters in Seeds of Deception were Sput Louie and Two Bird. I appreciated their story arc, but I won't go into any details to avoid giving too much away. I should warn that there are several profane words and racial slurs used in this tale. The words "nigger" and "negroes" appear frequently, but that's not surprising, given the story's era.

Clearly, a professional editor worked on this book; I found only one instance of an omitted word. Owing to the premium character development and world-building, the history lessons I gleaned, and its professional editing, I rate this book a perfect 4 out of 4 stars. There was absolutely nothing I disliked about this beautiful story. Seeds of Deception is a perfect work of literature, and I'll readily recommend it to anyone who is a lover of history and historical fiction.

Seeds of Deception
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by shreyagupta »

Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for the review.

HusainNecklace52
2019 Reading Goal: 40
Favorite Book: The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto
Currently Reading: A History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-husainnecklace52.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by HusainNecklace52 »

I love the tone of your voice, its really easy to follow and read through.
Thanks for a great review :)

Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Ada Ling »

Looks this book is packed with well-developed characters and well-crafted plots. Great review!

Tablito
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Tablito »

It's unbelievable that the same oppressed people will extend similar treatment to another group of people

Nonny2208
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nonny2208 »

The book sounds interesting, thanks for the review.

Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Schmooze by Cody Lowry

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Seems to be an interesting book, it's a must read for me. Thanks for the great review.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Latest Review: Schmooze by Cody Lowry

adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

Thanks for the review! I might give this book a try. By reading your review, it seems interesting.

Joseph_ngaruiya
2019 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: A World Diverse by David Edmond

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

I never thought it was true that Cherokee Indians had African American slaves. It's unthinkable. This was an extensive review. Thank you.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.

Rwill0988
2019 Reading Goal: 52
Currently Reading: This son of York
Bookshelf Size: 431
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rwill0988 »

What an amazing review! It is clear from it and all the research you did, that this book made an impact. The story sounds interesting and meaningful. It's a book I will definitely check out. Thanks for the review!
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice

TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: Owning My Mistakes by Marie Ghislaine Desir

Post by TCG »

"I was also intrigued to discover that the Native Indians are a matrilineal society. Besides the core story, it was clear that the author thoroughly researched Native Indian culture before penning this story." I just hear this for the first time. Good to know. Great review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”