Official Review: Julia by Linda Metcalf

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: Julia by Linda Metcalf

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Julia" by Linda Metcalf.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Julia lived in Natchez, Mississippi and considered James McIntosh to be the most handsome man alive. Would he be her faithful companion through the years? She was the second oldest of eight children and would grow up to become the mistress of Longwood plantation and the mother of a large family. Disease, war, and infidelities would disrupt her dreams of a shining future.

Julia Mistress of Longwood by Linda Metcalf was written in the form of a diary beginning when Julia was eleven years old. The diary entries varied. Some sections passed quickly with only one or two entries covering an entire year. The first-person narrative related all the events from Julia’s perspective allowing the reader to immerse themselves in her opinions about everyday concerns such as the price of cotton, clothing and the “noise and the smell of pigs having a feast in the trash and the horse dung everywhere,” (p 12.) As she matured, Julia included her thoughts about social issues such as slavery and her suspicions about her husband’s infidelity. She worried about her oldest son’s affair with a woman of color. “Will interracial marriage ever be lawful? Probably not in my lifetime or his,” (p. 247.) She described the political situation of the country during the Civil War and her friendship with General Grant.

Julia Williams Nutt was a real person. Her home, Longwood Mansion, is a tourist attraction in Natchez, MS. The author researched Julia’s life and based this fiction novel on letters, pictures, newspaper clippings, and court documents about Julia. She included interesting facts like why Julia was one of the first brides to wear white at her wedding. I loved the author’s ability to bring Julia to life as she related her life story. A lovely drawing of Julia included in the narrative helps readers create an image of the protagonist who worried, “that another living soul should ever read my secret thoughts.”

The vivid descriptions took me back in time, placing me alongside Julia as she enjoyed family gatherings and grieved at funerals. The sections that spoke of the passing of her immediate family members were deeply emotional. Diseases, such as whooping cough, diphtheria and yellow fever ravaged families and communities. Sensitive readers might find some of these sections difficult to read.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The author’s extensive research came through in the wealth of detailed information about Julia’s life. She expertly leads readers through Julia’s life and urges readers to examine their opinions about sensitive social issues like alcoholism, suicide, and racism. It was a pleasure to read a book with excellent editing. I could not find anything to dislike about this book. Profanity and inappropriate scenes were absent from this fascinating diary. Readers who enjoy memoirs and diaries would appreciate this book. Students of history could broaden their knowledge of life in the Deep South in the 1800s and contemplate how one upper-class family experienced the Civil War.

Julia
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

I have read a lot of reviews, but never have I read one which seemed to do a lot of justice to the original book. your review was indeed captivating and I felt as though I was reading the book. Now I have a longing to know more about Julia. Thank you for your wonderful review.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Julia is a person whose story is worthy to be read about.
Loved your review.

Thank you for the great review.
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

I would like to know how that relationship ended, were they married? Must read this, great review.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Sjtoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sjtoy.html
Latest Review: Marriage Maximized by William Hutcheson

Post by Sjtoy »

I usually don't read books of this genre. However, your review made this book seem like something I would enjoy. I appreciate the author wrote a story based off of the life of a real person. This makes the book more appealing to me. Nice review.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

kdstrack wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 19:37 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Julia" by Linda Metcalf.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Julia lived in Natchez, Mississippi and considered James McIntosh to be the most handsome man alive. Would he be her faithful companion through the years? She was the second oldest of eight children and would grow up to become the mistress of Longwood plantation and the mother of a large family. Disease, war, and infidelities would disrupt her dreams of a shining future.
I love that a book can be made out of a diary. I have to take this one in. Thanks for the pick!
Doziesixtus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doziesixtus.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Doziesixtus »

A romantic drama. I'd pass on this.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This book seems quite interesting. I would like to read Julia’s story. Thanks for your wonderful review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

The_Vivian wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 05:00 I have read a lot of reviews, but never have I read one which seemed to do a lot of justice to the original book. your review was indeed captivating and I felt as though I was reading the book. Now I have a longing to know more about Julia. Thank you for your wonderful review.
Thank you for your kind words! I hope you enjoy Julia's story as much as I did.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kajori50 wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 06:02 Julia is a person whose story is worthy to be read about.
Loved your review.

Thank you for the great review.
Thanks for reading and commenting. I hope you will have the opportunity to read more about Julia!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Phelicia Gloria wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 07:26 I would like to know how that relationship ended, were they married? Must read this, great review.
Read on, dear friend, read on! Thanks for commenting. :-)
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Sjtoy wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 11:44 I usually don't read books of this genre. However, your review made this book seem like something I would enjoy. I appreciate the author wrote a story based off of the life of a real person. This makes the book more appealing to me. Nice review.
The fact that Julia was a real person intrigued me also. I enjoyed the way the author incorporated the true events of her life into the story. It is an amazing read. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

djr6090 wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 15:34
kdstrack wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 19:37 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Julia" by Linda Metcalf.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I love that a book can be made out of a diary. I have to take this one in. Thanks for the pick!
I was enthralled by Julia! The descriptions and the diary entries made her life come alive. I hope you will enjoy her story, too. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Doziesixtus wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 02:43 A romantic drama. I'd pass on this.
Thanks for reading and commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 06:21 This book seems quite interesting. I would like to read Julia’s story. Thanks for your wonderful review!
There is so much to like in this book! The story is entertaining and informative at the same time. I hope you enjoy Julia's story. Thanks for reading and commenting.

Return to “Historical Fiction”