Review by Sarah Tariq -- A Desperate Turn of Events

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Tariq
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tariq.html
Latest Review: An Excellent Treatment of HIV/AIDS by Jean Bosco Sahaha
Reading Device: PDF

Review by Sarah Tariq -- A Desperate Turn of Events

Post by Sarah Tariq »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Desperate Turn of Events" by M J Clark.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for this is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” —Harriet Beecher Stowe.

A Desperate Turn of Events by M.J Clark is an awesome revolutionary rewrite of the heroic freedom struggle that Americans launched against the mighty British Empire of that time. On July 4, 1776, thirteen American Colonies declared their independence from England and decided to deal with their future themselves instead of bowing to the kingdom’s will.

On November 10, 1777, the British Frigate HMS Camilla reached England to inform about this fateful news. The news of Rebellion proved to be a big jerk for the British Crown as it was already annoyed with a constant lurking threats posed by France, Portugal, and Ireland who would challenge their might from time to time. This news spread much panic in the line of British authorities, and ultimately, the king decided to perish this Rebellion with his full might.

On the other side, the freedom fighters, who then called themselves “Americans” were determined to retain their freedom under the military leadership of George Washington. The British desperately fought the last full-fledged battle that turned the tables in favor of Americans who could then call themselves the free citizens. The book shows the intriguing politics of the British political and military officers that played its role in this debacle.

This event won’t be new for many Americans because of its historic significance; but, the author made it equally captivating for those who have little information about it. This historical fictional story is based on the factual account of events that took place during the freedom struggle.

As I began reading the book, I felt involved in the character’s life. I couldn’t put it down until the end. The cogent and clear narrative gives this book value despite its fictional nature. All of the events were chronologically manipulated that never made me feel that I was reading some fictional story, as all of its characters were realistic and well-articulated that demystified every aspect so well. Moreover, it gives an appealing account of the old warfare style which Americans used against the British.

Though everything seems perfect, my only grievance is the title of this book that gives a gloomy picture. I think freedom was a momentous victory for the USA against a mighty force; however, the title gives an impression as they loosed the war. The author may have his own reasoning for this, but I take it otherwise. Also, I feel that some of the events were seemingly superfluous, but overall it was a good read.

The book is a compelling historical fiction, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in military history stories. I feel the book is professionally edited as I didn’t find any reasonable mistake, and there is no profanity in the book. Therefore, I award this book 4 out of 4 stars for the nice depiction of scenes and characters as well as for perfectly laying out all the details.

A Desperate Turn of Events
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: An Imperfect Crime by Fred G. Baker

Post by Manali_DC »

I like reading historical fiction and this book seems to be a well written tale about a very significant historical event. Nice review!

Cotwani
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Cotwani »

Sounds like a compelling historical drama. No wonder 4th of July is always marked with pomp and color. It would be nice to learn everything that led to it. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Sarah Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Tariq »

Cotwani wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 16:07
Sounds like a compelling historical drama. No wonder 4th of July is always marked with pomp and color. It would be nice to learn everything that led to it. Great review!

Thanks for commenting, Cotwani!
Manali_DC wrote:
18 Aug 2020, 05:50
I like reading historical fiction and this book seems to be a well written tale about a very significant historical event. Nice review!
Thanks for commenting,Manali!

📕📖📰📓📕

NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

Sounds like an intriguing read! I'm not a big fan of historical novels, but your review piques my interest. I love that the characters are so realistic. Thanks for the insightful review!
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:

Sarah Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Tariq »

NDeMeer wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 06:59
Sounds like an intriguing read! I'm not a big fan of historical novels, but your review piques my interest. I love that the characters are so realistic. Thanks for the insightful review!
Thanks NDeMeer! Yeah it's a nice historical fiction that is both informative and appealing.

📕📖📰📓📕

book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

Not into historical books, but I really enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for an insightful review.
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Sarah Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Tariq »

book_fanatic_ wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 05:52
Not into historical books, but I really enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for an insightful review.
Thanks for commenting, book fanatic!
I really enjoyed this book.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”