Review by Shahnaz513 -- Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shahnaz513
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shahnaz513.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Review by Shahnaz513 -- Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Shahnaz513 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Leaving Dahomey" by Jude Shaw.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw is the first book in the Friendlytown trilogy. It is a historical fiction which is set at an ancient kingdom named Dahomey. Dahomey was located in western Africa. The book tells about the traditions, cultures and beliefs of the people of that time and how these things can change ones life.

Adeoha, daughter of Tubuta and Lamtaala, wanted to be the best trader in Dahomey. She practiced the traditions and cultures of her mother’s tribe while growing up. One day, Adeoha’s first friend, Sewextu invited her to the initiation ceremony of The Language of The Drum. Surprisingly, she was accepted by the elders of The Language of The Drum as an initiate. The elders told her that her father’s ancestors drew their attention to her. Several questions started forming in her mind. She went to Tubuta for the answers and got to know about his ancestral background. Then her life took a turning point.

Jude Shaw, through his book showed how traditional and cultural practices can influence our lives. The ancient people used to seek guidance from their ancestors. They believed that their ancestors would guide them through the right path and so they would be successful in their lives. In case of Adeoha, the reason behind her being chosen as an initiate was her father’s ancestors. And it indeed changed her life. The author showed true friendship through Adeoha and Sewextu. The way they trusted each other and how they would take their decisions together. There is much learning from the book.

I was amazed by the way Jude Shaw set all the plots and events together. I got to know various things about the ancient African tradition. The people of that time not only believed in the powers of ancestors but also in different ancient gods and goddesses. For instance, they believed in Gu and Fa. Gu was the god of war while Fa was the god of wisdom and knowledge.

I rate this book 4 out of 4. I really liked how everything worked out together in the book. I found no typos in this book. So the book is exceptionally flawless. This book is a great fit for historical fiction lovers. I highly recommend you read the book.

Leaving Dahomey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”