Official Review: The Secret Forgotten by E.J. Andrews

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: The Secret Forgotten by E.J. Andrews

Official Review: The Secret Forgotten by E.J. Andrews

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Secret Forgotten" by E.J. Andrews.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”—James Baldwin

The Secret Forgotten by E.J. Andrews, is a mixture of historical fiction and mystery thriller. It weaves two lines; the first one tackles a young talented woman, Cammie, who falls in love with an attorney, Darwin, and together they try to unravel the mystery behind the murder of her grandfather. The second line takes place in the US, during the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. Where does the story start and does it relate to the current events? What has American baseball got to do with the mystery and scandal that are weaved masterfully in this novel? Answers will be attained as one goes through the book.

I was pulled into the story right from the outset. The writing style is clear and engaging, and the characters are well-developed and relatable. Actually, they are so real I had to google them. The fact that many historic events are based on foundations in truth, as well as the well-researched timeline and history of baseball, added authenticity to the narrative.

Additionally, I liked the smooth transition back and forth between the two timelines, and the way that the well-knitted plot unraveled and the dots were connected to culminate in a satisfactory ending.

There is nothing I disliked about the book. I would only warn readers who are sensitive to racial slurs, as there was some use of racial remarks in the dialogue in an era where segregation and racial discrimination were common. Also, some details were just too painful to read having seen how far we’ve come today.

I fell under the impression that the novel is professionally edited, for I could only spot three trivial typographical errors that did not take away from the enjoyment of reading the book. I would recommend The Secret Forgotten to those who enjoy a blend of historical fiction, thrill, and mystery. Those particularly interested in American history and in the National American game will get immersed into intriguing details that are yet unknown to many. In light of the aforementioned, I am pleased to rate The Secret Forgotten by E.J. Andrews 4 out of 4 stars.

I consider this novel an “insider’s look” at an important part of the history of this nation and a link between the past and the present. Hence, I leave you with these words; “Ruth was a national hero. Some historians think baseball was a cultural phenomenon- a constant, a fabric or bond, when the rest of the country changed: World War 1 and World War 2, The Depression, segregation, and women’s rights. Baseball was a social constant, sort of a historic phenomenon.”

The Secret Forgotten
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Fatima Saif
2019 Reading Goal: 400
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading: Make Fitness A Priority
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-saif.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Fatima Saif »

What a wonderful book title and review. I just read first line and couldn't stop myself from further reading. “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”—James Baldwin

I'll read this book soon.

Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Fatima Saif wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 12:24
What a wonderful book title and review. I just read first line and couldn't stop myself from further reading. “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”—James Baldwin

I'll read this book soon.
Hope you enjoy it! Thank you for stopping by and for commenting.

Olgamiell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olgamiell.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Olgamiell »

I really enjoyed your review! I'd gladly read this book as it seems interesting and well-written.

Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Olgamiell wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 15:06
I really enjoyed your review! I'd gladly read this book as it seems interesting and well-written.
Thank you! Have an enjoyable read.

Nelson Reviews
2019 Reading Goal: 92
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-reviews.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Reviews »

"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”

Well the above quote was enough to make my thoughts race to read what follows in the review. And as expected the review is wonderful. You have actually elevated the urge to flip the pages of "The Secret Forgotten" by E.J. Andrews.

Thank you for the awesome review.
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :reading-6:

Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Nelson Reviews wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 17:45
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”

Well the above quote was enough to make my thoughts race to read what follows in the review. And as expected the review is wonderful. You have actually elevated the urge to flip the pages of "The Secret Forgotten" by E.J. Andrews.

Thank you for the awesome review.
Thank you! Appreciated.

Crescentine
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentine.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Crescentine »

I enjoyed reading your review. It managed to get all of my attention, the books seems really engaging and I would love to read it sometime.
Thanks for writing.

Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Crescentine wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 22:59
I enjoyed reading your review. It managed to get all of my attention, the books seems really engaging and I would love to read it sometime.
Thanks for writing.
Thank you!

Rachel_Emmanuel
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Leadership by Craig B. Whelden

Post by Rachel_Emmanuel »

The first quote on the review speaks volumes about the book. An engaging review and very intriguing book. Well done.
#RecordBreaker

Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Rachel_Emmanuel wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 07:25
The first quote on the review speaks volumes about the book. An engaging review and very intriguing book. Well done.
Thank you so much!

Doziesixtus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doziesixtus.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Doziesixtus »

I think I'd pass on this since the book contains some racial slurs. Sometimes I feel attacked when I read such considering I identify as a "minor".

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: I Had A Secret For Seventeen Years by Tori Shaw

Post by Cecilia_L »

I enjoy a good thriller, so this appeals to me. Thanks for the recommendation, Ruba!

Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pluma »

Wow, this sounds like a really good book! It’s great that there were minimal errors and it was very well-researched, and that the plot was resolved neatly. It seems like a very interesting and intriguing read. Thanks for the Review.

Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Cecilia_L wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 21:44
I enjoy a good thriller, so this appeals to me. Thanks for the recommendation, Ruba!
Thank you, Cecilia! :tiphat:

Return to “Historical Fiction”