Official Review: The Chances We Take by Annell St. Charles

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Ascending Power by Malcolm Gibson

Official Review: The Chances We Take by Annell St. Charles

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Chances We Take" by Annell St. Charles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Georgia and her boyfriend, Jon, were invited by her friend Julie and her husband to go on a vacation with them to Hilton Head Island. Georgia was surprised how much it felt like home to her when they arrived, having never been there previously. While out riding her bike alone, she visits an ancient Gullah cemetery and encounters an old woman who chatted with her a bit. The grave she was sitting by was her grandfather’s, who had died mysteriously. Giving Georgia an amulet, she tells her, “Tek dis. It help you know wha’ tuh do.” The woman soon disappeared, leaving Georgia confused.

At a restaurant later, she noticed a portrait on the wall of the woman she met in the cemetery. Her waitress informed her that the elderly lady’s name was Bessie, and she had died almost ten years previously. Georgia showed the waitress the amulet that was given to her, and she acknowledged it was, indeed, one of Bessie’s. Georgia was even more puzzled. Why had Bessie appeared to her, and how was the amulet supposed to help her?

The Chances We Take by Annell St. Charles is listed in the historical fiction genre and takes place in the mid-1970s, mostly in Hilton Head Island and Nashville, Tennessee. It is the third book written about Georgia Ayres but is a standalone novel; however, there is something alluded to that will probably be answered in an upcoming book. The author started visiting Hilton Head in the late 1980s and owns a condo there now. She is very familiar with the region, which makes her descriptions of the area and foods authentic. This represents my favorite aspect of the story.

The story is told from the first-person point of view, from Georgia’s perspective. When the dialogue and narrative are in English, the writing is simple and easy to understand. However, when the Gullah dialect is spoken, it can be difficult to comprehend. The author has undertaken two things to help with this. First, she has a section at the beginning titled “A Message To The Reader” in which a history of the Gullah people and some general rules about the language are relayed. In addition, at the end of the book is a “Gullah-English Dictionary” with a list of the Gullah words that were used in the story. This helped considerably, but it was problematic going back and forth with my PDF copy. Reading a hard copy would have been much easier.

Several plots are encountered in the story: first is the story of Bessie, who wants the cause of her grandfather’s death to be revealed; next is the evolving love story of Georgia and Jon; last is the story of the Gullah people. The dominant theme is a person sometimes needs to take chances. Other underlying themes deal with friendship, love, and a willingness to accept others even if they are dissimilar.

The author’s descriptions draw the reader into the story, making them feel as if they are there. I really enjoyed this, especially the descriptions of Hilton Head in the 1970s. However, sometimes things not pertinent to the tale were given a lot of attention and detail, slowing down the book and making it occasionally tedious. This was my least favorite aspect.

Considering all the above, The Chances We Take achieves a rating of three out of four stars. One star was removed because it was occasionally tedious. Only a few minor errors were found, so I believe it was professionally edited. Readers who appreciate learning about Hilton Head Island and its history will enjoy this book, especially if they like a little intermixed mystery, paranormal activity, and romance. If you prefer fast-paced, thrilling stories, then you might want to look elsewhere. Some occasional borderline profanities and a couple of nongraphic sex scenes were seen. Subsequently, it wouldn’t be appropriate for children.

The Chances We Take
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Sounds interesting! I like reading thrilling stories and so I can consider reading this. Thanks for your wonderful review.

Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Honest-reviewer wrote: ↑
27 Jul 2020, 03:41
Sounds interesting! I like reading thrilling stories and so I can consider reading this. Thanks for your wonderful review.
You're welcome. Thanks for stopping by!

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I really enjoyed reading your review. Hoping to read this book someday.

rahilshajahan
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by rahilshajahan »

I am more of a fast pace thriller guy, but I am all in for a paranormal activities in a book. I enjoyed reading The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood. Hoping to get similar vibes, I will check this book out. Nice review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright

Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Priyanka2304 wrote: ↑
27 Jul 2020, 09:14
I really enjoyed reading your review. Hoping to read this book someday.
I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for your comments!

Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

rahilshajahan wrote: ↑
27 Jul 2020, 13:27
I am more of a fast pace thriller guy, but I am all in for a paranormal activities in a book. I enjoyed reading The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood. Hoping to get similar vibes, I will check this book out. Nice review!
I haven't read that book, so I can't really compare it. Thanks for reading my review and commenting!

LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: The Old Farts versus The Fatberg by Pat Stevens
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

Whilst I do, indeed, prefer fast-paced thriller stories, this one, after reading your review, has wrapped its tentacles around me too! :) I will keep in mind the drawbacks and will continue looking for that mystery and paranormal! Plus, I love the title :)

Thank you for such a thorough and insightful review!

Miks_solon
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: An Imperfect Crime by Fred G. Baker

Post by Miks_solon »

Thanks for writing a comprehensive review! Well done.
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"

Wy_Bertram
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Wy_Bertram »

This sounds quite intriguing. Nothing about the cover suggests a ghost story, but I suppose that means the author is good at concealing twists. Good job on the review.

Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

LinaJan wrote: ↑
27 Jul 2020, 16:37
Whilst I do, indeed, prefer fast-paced thriller stories, this one, after reading your review, has wrapped its tentacles around me too! :) I will keep in mind the drawbacks and will continue looking for that mystery and paranormal! Plus, I love the title :)

Thank you for such a thorough and insightful review!
I hope you get a chance to read it. Thanks for the comments!

Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Miks_solon wrote: ↑
28 Jul 2020, 06:54
Thanks for writing a comprehensive review! Well done.
Thanks for stopping by and reading it!

Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Wy_Bertram wrote: ↑
28 Jul 2020, 07:30
This sounds quite intriguing. Nothing about the cover suggests a ghost story, but I suppose that means the author is good at concealing twists. Good job on the review.
It is a little unclear, but I think the rocking chair is what the ghost was sitting in in the cemetary. However, one wouldn't know that. I do think it needs a better cover. Thanks for the comments!

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Plum Rains on Happy House by Michael A. Greco

Post by Ellylion »

I would definitely give this one a try, because I'm an avid fan of all the paranormal fiction! :) Thank you for this great review!

Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Ellylion wrote: ↑
28 Jul 2020, 12:21
I would definitely give this one a try, because I'm an avid fan of all the paranormal fiction! :) Thank you for this great review!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Return to “Historical Fiction”