Review by Sydney Nyamasoka -- Bedu: Bedouin Boy, Poet King

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sydney Nyamasoka
Currently Reading: The 1000 most important questions you will ever ask yourself
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-nyamasoka.html
Latest Review: The Harder I Fall, The Higher I Bounce by Max James

Review by Sydney Nyamasoka -- Bedu: Bedouin Boy, Poet King

Post by Sydney Nyamasoka »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bedu: Bedouin Boy, Poet King" by David W. Sutherland and Paul McKellips.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bedu, a young adult with an imaginative and poetic mind thinks of himself as only a shepherd boy from Damascus. The narrative starts with this young man living with his parents and sister in a mud and stone hut of low status on a hillside. The setting is in the first-century lifestyle and environment.

Bedu’s family had only seven sheep, four goats, dried vegetables, bread, and a few things to support their basic day to day livelihood before the arrival of another harvest. It was a life of minimal basics. During one evening, the greater part of their food and livestock were to be feasted on by total strangers. Bedu did not recognize these strangers and neither did his father, at first. A king, his granddaughter, and the king’s large army were the strangers. At least the feast went on at the approval and surprising hospitality of Bedu’s father. How would this impact Bedu? How would Bedu, his mother, and sister react? Did these strangers come in sincere peace and how were they connected to Bedu’s family?

After this unsettling feast, Bedu sets on a journey arranged by his father and king Melchior. This is the profoundly simple journey that transforms Bedu from what he thought he was,’ just a shepherd boy from Damascus’ to who he truly was for himself, his family, and society. Bedu became a well-known talented poet, agribusiness man, wealth manager, school pioneer, and a wonderful husband to a beautiful and thoughtful princess.

Grab a copy and turn 148 pages to put together all the aforementioned peaces of the short but compelling narrative from which you can draw positive, insightful, and constructive lessons.

Bedu: Bedouin Boy, Poet King, a profoundly simple journey is a short but helpful book written by David W. Sutherland and Paul McKellips. It explores the negative, positive, and ideal cultural values from and through which individuals, families, societies, and organizations can learn and have immense benefits.

l rate this book with 4 out of 4 stars. The book is written in simple English, has clean language, and a few errors. The lessons about personal culture evolving into a life of purpose for oneself, value, and service to the immediate and extended families and societies are impressive and helpful. I especially appreciated this attribute of the narrative which aids personality development. Believers of different religions will equally enjoy the read without being offended. I disliked the page setup which led to some words being cut short or out of view. I identified a total of 7 errors. I also disliked the absence of page numbers. However, these issues did not significantly distract my reading.

I recommend this book to all readers as the lessons are conclusively relevant and beneficial. Those interested in culture will find this narrative significantly insightful.

Bedu: Bedouin Boy, Poet King
View: on Bookshelves
Search for, and find, real meaning in life and live purposefully.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Post by Chipochashe »

Bedu's journey must be very interesting considering the incredible transformation. Thanks for the informative review Sydney.
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
Sydney Nyamasoka
Currently Reading: The 1000 most important questions you will ever ask yourself
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-nyamasoka.html
Latest Review: The Harder I Fall, The Higher I Bounce by Max James

Post by Sydney Nyamasoka »

Chipochashe wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 01:25 Bedu's journey must be very interesting considering the incredible transformation. Thanks for the informative review Sydney.
Thanks for the comment. It is interesting.
Search for, and find, real meaning in life and live purposefully.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The book has amazing descriptions and well-thought-out dialogues. However, I do not like the fact that the influence of modern times is visible on a story that is set in the time of two millennia ago.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”