Review by Leen282 -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Review by Leen282 -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Leen282 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fox" by M. N. J. Butler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The beautiful book cover gives it away already: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler is a historical novel, taking place in ancient Greece, mostly in and around Sparta. The drawing of the Spartan soldier in armor against the red background is a real eye-catcher.

The main character in the book is Leotychides, born in a royal family, and expected to become king. He tells us his story, starting with him being a young boy in a flock learning all about discipline and fighting with other boys his age. He grows up, actively engaging in the many wars Sparta fought with its neighbors. He falls in love as a youth, starts a family as a grown-up, continues to go to war. He informs the readers about politics, warfare, family life, love without limits as to gender. He allows us to follow him and his life until he is an old man.

The book starts with a glossary of several pages long. While this may seem overwhelming at first, it is instrumental in understanding the different characters with often the same name or very similar names. I read an e-version of the book but would suggest a hard copy based on this glossary. With a hard copy, it is easier to flip back and forth. The book also gives a family tree, and I only missed a map locating Sparta and the other cities mentioned.

Throughout the book, I had to stay focused at all times. It is not an easy read to relax your brain. The author gives a lot of well-researched historical information on life in ancient Sparta. He combines this with the story of Leotychidas writing a memoir and describing the important people in his life. There are vivid descriptions of the multiple wars, there are many political intrigues combined with betrayal, but no surprising plot twists or hidden clues. The story is a straightforward account of a man's life.

I rate this book three out of four stars. The copy I received had plenty of errors, mostly related to quotation marks. The amazon blurb mentions that the book's e-version has been revised to edit out the issues, so I hope my copy was simply an older one, and this comment is not relevant anymore. Even without the errors, I would not give it the full four stars since it was too long for my taste. It took me quite some time to get into it, but I enjoyed the story when that finally happened. I can recommend this book to fans of historical fiction and those curious about ancient Greece.

The Fox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

Too bad it contained errors. Providing a glossary in the book is an indication that the author wanted the readers to get engaged. I love interactive books since it considers our thoughts, too. Well done.
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

The book cover also piqued my interest. Your review just goes to say that we can judge this book by its cover. Thanks for the recommendation.
rwalkup
Currently Reading: The Copper Gauntlet
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwalkup.html
Latest Review: E&N Escape by P.N.Holland

Post by rwalkup »

Love the cover! I might give this a read because I love stories about ancient Greece. Great review!
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

I love when the authors make a lot of research to write their books. It shows their passion for what they write or study. Thanks for the informative review! Good job!
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This is also one of my latest reviews. I must say that I totally agree with your points and rating. Great review !

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”