Official Review: Noble Traitor by J R Tomlin

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: Noble Traitor by J R Tomlin

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Noble Traitor" by J R Tomlin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What does loyalty mean to you? Is it just a word you use when it's convenient, or is it something worth dying for? Before you answer, you need to check out Thomas Randolph's story of loyalty in Noble Traitor: A Historical Novel of Scotland by J. R. Tomlin.

Thomas spent most of his formative years under the tutelage of Lord Gordon. He had grown to admire and respect Lord Gordon, and he wouldn't deliberately do anything to jeopardize their relationship. As one of Lord Gordon's squires, his loyalty was never misplaced. Everything changed when his uncle, Robert Bruce, cunningly lured him away from Inverkip Castle to join other members of his family in the Scottish rebellion against the English rule. Thomas was torn between remaining loyal to Lord Gordon and joining his brethren in their fight for freedom. What does fate hold for Thomas?

I have read so many historical fiction books that tell the story of a people's liberation from foreign rulership. However, this one went farther in history. Set in the early 14th century, the events recorded in this book happened between February 1306 and December 1307. I was impressed to see how the author captured the lifestyle of the Scottish people of that era — everything from mannerisms to accent was aptly captured in this historical story. The author did an excellent job of developing the narrative to present realistic events. If I didn't already know that this book was fictional, I would tag it a historical biography of the lead character, Thomas Randolph. However, there were also historical characters in the narrative.

Anyone conversant with stories of rebellion would know that some elements make them tick — battles, betrayals, strategic planning, and to some extent, espionage. The author did an excellent job of weaving together these elements to tell a story that's worth reading, especially for people who enjoy books of this sort. I found myself engrossed the more as events played out. The twists and turns in the story provided aha moments for me as I read the book. This was a fast-paced and action-packed page-turner. This was what I liked most about this book, and I enjoyed every moment of it.

The author provided some resources to help the reader enjoy a seamless read. First, there was a map of Scotland at the beginning of the book. Honestly, this was one of few historical fiction books I've seen authors do this. It was helpful, as the places mentioned in the book were easy to identify. Secondly, there was a glossary at the end of the book that explained the strange words used in the book. It would be best if the reader checked out the glossary before reading the book.

This was a well-written book with few errors in it. I gladly rate it a 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to lovers of historical fiction, especially stories that revolve around the fight for freedom. Tomlin is an incredible author, and I look forward to reading more of his books.

Noble Traitor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

The subtle contradiction in the title is what caught my eye and prompted me to read your review. I must say it does sound like an interesting read and it's always intriguing when there is a map at the beginning of a book. Thanks for an insightful review.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Siddharth22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Siddharth22 »

:D "Noble Traitor" The title perfectly suits the story that takes us to the time of of war between Scotland and England. Everything in the book is so well adapted and well written- From the mannerisms of the character to their accents.
Its a thrilling ride of emotions as it leave you embark the journey of Thomas who has to make some tough decisions and hence becoming the "Noble Traitor".
I personally loved the book as it leaves a person with self psychological doubts and questions and yet gives us a journey of the 14th century with the taste of war, sacrifice, love for motherland,bravery and at last, A question to one self, Is Loyalty just a term to you, or are you ready to die for it?
Kudos to the writer J.R TOMLIN sir.
I wish everyone read it once in their lifetime.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

The author captured my interest in the title. After reading your review, I agree with you that the book is thrilling.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Awesomeliker
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awesomeliker.html
Latest Review: The Demon of the Well by James B. Hendricks

Post by Awesomeliker »

The title and story is amazing. Thanks for the amazing review!
Live your life in a way that you won't look back and regret things :D
drwcroaker
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Brothas from Anotha Motha
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drwcroaker.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by drwcroaker »

I don't read a lot of historical fiction, but your review has me interested in this book. I love the idea of a character torn between loyalties. I wonder if his uncle forces him to spy on Lord Gordon. What a tight spot for the protagonist to be in! Might have to read the sample pages to see if I get hooked.
We’re gonna need a bigger bookshelf.
Ben97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ben97 »

I enjoyed your review, it was very illuminating. I think the book was interesting.
kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

I like historical fiction and this one sounds intriguing. I especially like the map and glossary. Thanks for an informative and wonderful review.
"I promised myself that I would take the time to notice simple beauty every day."
Richard L. Haight
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I wonder how loyalty comes to play in this book. Interesting review. Thanks.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Laurakish
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurakish.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Laurakish »

I'm a sucker for historical fiction. This sounds pretty interesting. Did Thomas remain loyal to Lord Gordon or did he join in their fight for freedom? I guess I'll have to read it to find out.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

Same as many commentators, I was first captured by the title, and that is how I ended up here :) Whilst reading the first paragraph, I couldn't help but pit loyalty against integrity...

I must congratulate you on the review! It is so well-written, well-rounded, insightful, and inviting! It was an absolute pleasure to read. It was also what helped me make up my mind and add this to my shelf. Thank you! :)
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The Jewels Of The Rainbow by H.F. Snyder

Post by TCG »

You described the novel well enough. Thanks for review
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

Thanks for an honest and well detailed review.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: A Date with Justice
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I love historical fiction novels and I think it's great when the author is able to capture what life was like for the era that it was written in
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Noelle770
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noelle770.html
Latest Review: The Tattered Black Book by Lexy Duck

Post by Noelle770 »

I quite enjoy historical fiction and the ideals of freedom and quite interesting. This sounds like an amazing read

Return to “Historical Fiction”