Official Review: The Last Real Hobo by Terry Albritton

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 143
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 185
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 627
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: The Last Real Hobo by Terry Albritton

Official Review: The Last Real Hobo by Terry Albritton

Post by Shrabastee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Real Hobo" by Terry Albritton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Last Real Hobo by Terry A. Albritton follows the story of Sisco Griffin, a drifter who settles for a while in the town of Hayden. When he stumbles upon a mutilated body inside a church, Leonard Sutter, the principal of the local school, helps him bury the body. Sisco is utterly besotted with Claire, a teacher in the primary school. Unfortunately, he soon finds himself mitigating the complicated chemistry between Leonard and Claire. He also becomes an unwitting pawn in a power game between the head janitor and the principal. With the discovery of two more mutilated bodies, the law enforcement officers will likely charge the vagrant worker with murder. Can Sisco save Leonard and himself from the unfounded accusations?

As a book predominantly featuring an itinerant population, this one delves deep into hobo mannerisms. Albritton frequently incorporates dialects and colloquialisms prevalent in hobo society. A glossary at the end of the book explains these unfamiliar terms to the reader. The novel mentions intriguing hobo codes and symbols. It portrays their traveling, eating, and sleeping habits in an authentic fashion.

Based on the accurate descriptions of the political backdrop and socio-political views prevalent during the 1950s, this book can be considered a well-researched period piece. From the gradually disappearing steam engines to the clash between Richard Nixon and Helen Douglas, the narrative stays true to the historical details.

I especially loved the characterization of the book. Although there are several prominent characters here, their idiosyncrasies make them easily distinguishable. For each of the characters, Albritton carefully sketches the darker sides as well, making them more realistic. The novel also shows how we are often unable to forego our vices despite knowing how they affect our lives.

My reading experience is, however, not without complaints. The pace is agonizingly slow. The timeline spans two years, but nothing much happens during that time. I became weary of the same routine Sisco followed day after day. Also, the murders remained unsolved, the perpetrators unidentified. Albritton chose not to tie up the loose ends, leaving too many unanswered questions. The abrupt ending failed to bring closure. It seemed that the book could go on for a few more chapters, but the author suddenly decided to end it and hastily placed an epilogue.

All things considered, I rate this novel 3 out of 4 stars. A few technical errors did not detract from the reading experience. I would recommend this to readers who appreciate historical fiction. However, the book includes adult contents, including rape, sexual encounters, and adultery. Therefore, this work is unsuitable for a younger audience.

The Last Real Hobo
View: on Bookshelves

Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Thea Frederick »

Thank you for your review! This sounds like a unique read.
-Thea M. Frederick

diana lowery
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: you gotta ask for the order by steve cina
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery »

I don't think I have ever read anything about hobo life. Sorry about the slow pace, though, do you think it was intentional to reflect what that life feels like?

_Lindsey_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey.html
Latest Review: The Future Is by Carroll Grabham

Post by _Lindsey_ »

The premise is very unusual. I like the sound of all the research the author did into the culture of drifters, and the history of the 1950's. It's a shame that the pace is so slow and hard to get through as it sounds like it would have been very good otherwise.

Mohammed_Sameer2
2019 Reading Goal: 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohammed-sameer2.html
Latest Review: Unveil your Intimate Self by Elena Georgiadou

Post by Mohammed_Sameer2 »

It is a nice review of Terry Albritton's book dear friend Shrabastee, that you browse the main and mystic crimes, and the development of characters. I confirm that those fictions have a good impact during reading, if they make an agreement with reality or history. Have a great day.

Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Usma Khann »

It seems like the book will make a good a read despite its loopholes. Looks like the author has researched a lot in coming up with this book. Appreciate your review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:

Fernando222
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernando222.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Fernando222 »

This book seems to portray crime, investigation, suspense, as well as mystery. I sense a complex puzzle in the plot. Your review is quite detailed.

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I have seen a few series on Hobo. Reading about them will be quite interesting. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”