Official Review: The Mind Changer by Patricia Sabella

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
2018 Reading Goal: 150
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: Umbral Ten by Douglas Murphy

Official Review: The Mind Changer by Patricia Sabella

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mind Changer" by Patricia Sabella.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mind Changer by Patricia Sabella is a compelling historical fiction set in the early 1900s. Through this narrative, readers get to walk through the streets of Sciacca, Italy, and witness life in the tenements of Boston and every place in between that the characters explored.

Leaving her little home village for America, Mina was excited by the prospect of seeing her brother again and finally meeting the man she was set to marry. Though she initially had reservations about getting married, she hoped that her new life and future husband would be good. Sadly, the young and naĂŻve Mina would be up for a rude awakening and quickly learn some harsh realities of life. On the other side, her friend, Fiona, who had escaped tragic circumstances in Ireland, would find herself weathering a different storm in New York. Unfortunately, her attempts to pave an entirely new life for herself would lead her to life and death situations.

The narrative has a fascinating set of characters whose stories run parallel to each other. The shift in focus to multiple protagonists created an air of suspense and anticipation of what would happen next. This aspect of the narrative kept me keenly turning pages. It was also intriguing to learn how the title of the book correlated to one particular character and how it fits with her story.

One of my favorite characters was Fiona because she was a force to be reckoned with. She stayed resilient through events that could have left her broken. Her story, although tragic, was gripping from beginning to end. There was so much I found relatable and likable about her. Mina was also my favorite: I could relate to her indecisiveness, and I liked her good-naturedness.

This is an impressive debut novel by Patricia Sabella. The author brilliantly wove rich historical detail seamlessly throughout the novel’s narrative. The vivid descriptions and eloquent writing will take you back in time. Hop aboard the Cunard steamship and follow the life experiences of some of the characters desperately escaping war-ravaged countries. Stand at the forefront of one of the women’s suffrage marches. Bare witness to the massive destruction caused by the great molasses flood. When it came to the deadly Spanish flu, it was interesting for me to draw comparisons to the response, reactions, myths, and handling of the disease to that of COVID-19 a little over a hundred years later. While reading of the pandemic that occurred back then, I couldn’t help but feel like history had indeed repeated itself, and it’s sad that after all this time much hasn’t changed.

Though the story was compelling and the author’s writing skills evident, there were so many errors strewn throughout the narrative. Some of the errors include grammar mistakes, misuse of homonyms, lack of spacing between words, and misspellings of characters' names. All things considered, I rate this book a generous 3 out of 4 stars. The errors were quite distracting, and the novel would benefit from the hands of a professional editor. However, this is a worthwhile read for fans of historical fiction, and I can’t recommend it enough to fans of the genre. Readers who are keen on themes of discrimination, racism, immigration, war, and family drama may also enjoy this one.

The Mind Changer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

gabrielletiemi
Currently Reading: Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielletiemi.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by gabrielletiemi »

I love when a story changes the perspective like this, it seems to make the whole book more dynamic. It's a shame that it has so many errors, it's really bad when they are distracting. Thanks for the great review!

LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: The Albatross: Contact by Connor Mackay
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

I appreciate the drawbacks and I am a little concerned as one of my most recently read books had the same issue - the grammatical errors/typos, etc. and I found it very discouraging as good a storyline as it was. But, regardless, this one sounds like it is worth persevering :) Onto my shelf it goes :)

Your review - in itself - is a piece of written art and needs to be commended! Absolutely fantastic! :D Thank you!

Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Thea Frederick »

Thanks so much for the review! I enjoy historical fiction, too bad there are so many mistakes.
-Thea M. Frederick

Johnela2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Johnela2 »

I love reading reviews, although it was amazing, it think they make some correction on it.

ELANOR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elanor.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by ELANOR »

.Two protagonists contrasting their struggles within a time that was difficult for women to be independent sounds like it will make for a great read!
Hopefully they will consider editing it after your review.

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I am not into historical fiction that much. But the review was amazing, so maybe I will read the book someday.

Return to “Historical Fiction”