Review by Faithmwangi -- A Desperate Turn of Events

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faithmwangi
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Review by Faithmwangi -- A Desperate Turn of Events

Post by Faithmwangi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Desperate Turn of Events" by M J Clark.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Desperate Turn of Events, by M J Clark, is a fictional account of the American Revolution. After two years of rebellion by the Americans, the King was fed up. He ordered all soldiers who protected the Kingdom to go crush the rebellion. He started by sending one of his prime ministers to Philadelphia to oversee the attack. There would be no room for failure. On the other hand, George Washington, the American commander had nothing but his faith to hold on to. The constant battles with the British had left most of his men dead. Those who had survived had had their morale bruised. Some of his allies had gone rogue, and he didn’t have enough weapons. What was he going to do? Would he surrender or fight to his death?

The action in this excellent read started immediately. The fact that it flowed from the beginning made it difficult to put down. I enjoyed every plot, every spy, and every battle. I found myself verbally vouching for certain characters. The character development was commendable and I understood why the various characters behaved the way they did. The errors I identified were minimal and in no way deterred me from enjoying the book.

My favorite part of the book has to be George Washington. I admired his resilience even when the odds were against him. He portrayed the perfect example of a leader. He cared for all of his men in that he made sure he was the last during the war. He would let his wounded soldiers and even those who were well enough to stand to go before him. His level of faith was also to be envied. He believed in God in his darkest hour. His unwillingness to sacrifice his men to save his life was an action I loved.

Overall, I reward this book 4 out of 4 stars. The writing was clear and easy to follow. I learned the true meaning of work with what you have in life. In the battle with the British, the Americans had fewer men, low firepower, and inadequate resources. They, however, made use of the little they had to their advantage. I found nothing I disliked about the book.

I recommend this read to lovers of historical fiction. Those who appreciate war stories will enjoy this read together with the strategies that the different sides put in place. Those who do not care for historical stories should steer clear of this one.

A Desperate Turn of Events
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”