Review by Leen282 -- Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leen282
2021 Reading Goal: 26
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Review by Leen282 -- Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Leen282 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Killing Abel, Michael Tieman writes a fictional report on what happened in the book of Genesis in the Old Testament from the first humans until the flood. He uses the actual wording of the Bible as guidance and reference and completes the stories with his interpretation and fantasy.

The book starts with Lucifer enticing Eve to eat the forbidden fruit. She tries to resist but fails. Eve then also convinces Adam to do the same, and they both get expelled from the Garden of Eden. In the outside world, Adam and Eve start their life as husband and wife. They create a family, and the book moves on to tell the story of their first-born daughter Eva and first-born son Cain and second-born son Abel. The final chapters recount the story of Noah building the ark. All through the book, God, as a loving father, is watching over his children.

I was intrigued by the original idea of taking well-known stories, using the origin of these stories as a background setting, and filling in the gaps with fiction. I also like the dramatic art on the cover page. The book has a promising start; the reader is immediately in the story, and the action begins. And then it stops. Apart from a few well-written parts, such as Adam contemplating the correct punishment for Cain killing Abel, and his subsequent discussion with Eva on the topic, I found myself wanting to rush through the book.

I was probably expecting a bit too much of it; I was disappointed with the slow pace, the long descriptions, and the lack of action. While reading, I couldn't help but feel like I was reading a factual report instead of a novel. Furthermore, there are quite a few typos and formatting errors that bothered me while reading. For these reasons, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars.

The book is quite descriptive when it comes to procreation, nudity, and sexuality in a very factual way, making it not suited for a younger audience. While it is a book based on the Bible, I think it can be interesting for all readers independent of their religious background. It helps to know the stories of Adam and Eve, Abel and Cain, and Noah and its ark, but I don't think it is necessary since the book refers to the Bible passages and includes the background needed to follow the storylines.

Killing Abel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

It seems like there could be a bit more work done to improve the pace of the work! Hopefully, the author takes your suggestions into account. Thanks for the review!
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

gen_g wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 12:36 It seems like there could be a bit more work done to improve the pace of the work! Hopefully, the author takes your suggestions into account. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for reading and commenting.
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

Nice review! I don't like books where the author messes with Bible stories. I'll pass this one.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Tonika632 wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 15:20 Nice review! I don't like books where the author messes with Bible stories. I'll pass this one.
Thanks for stopping by.
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Year of the Sheep by James Y. Bartlett
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MeganDJ »

I see your point of view! :) We had very different perspectives but both backed by personal experience and valid points :D Well-written review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

MeganDJ wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 01:16 I see your point of view! :) We had very different perspectives but both backed by personal experience and valid points :D Well-written review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
Thanks ☺️
JM Reviews
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jm-reviews.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes

Post by JM Reviews »

Too bad you didn't like it. I hope the author rectify these errors. Nice review
Your success is not completely deserved, and the failure of others is not completely deserved either :D
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

JM Reviews wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 06:20 Too bad you didn't like it. I hope the author rectify these errors. Nice review
Thanks
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Meeting Mozart by Howard Jay Smith

Post by Ellylion »

I'm really looking forward to reading this book. It's seems to be really unique. I love re-told Biblical stories :) Thanks for a great review!
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Ellylion wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 08:27 I'm really looking forward to reading this book. It's seems to be really unique. I love re-told Biblical stories :) Thanks for a great review!
I hope you enjoy it. Happy reading.
Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by Slater678 »

Feels like an interesting novel that gives a different take of what happened in the Garden of Eden. Nice review.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Slater678 wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 09:37 Feels like an interesting novel that gives a different take of what happened in the Garden of Eden. Nice review.
Thanks.
do20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-do20.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by do20 »

It is a well-written review and I hope that the issues you highlighted will be corrected. Great job.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

do20 wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 12:02 It is a well-written review and I hope that the issues you highlighted will be corrected. Great job.
Thanks!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”