Review by Kanda_theGreat -- The McCoys Before The Feud

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Review by Kanda_theGreat -- The McCoys Before The Feud

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The McCoys Before The Feud" by Thomas McCoy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Historical injustices, massive plunder, ruined relationships, broken social constructions, murder and treachery are some of the thematic concerns raised in The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy. The book is purely a work of fiction but one that is based on real-time events. It covers the events that unfolded during the American Civil War, all through the Northern victory to the quest for justice by the McCoys.

The Southern army had lost the battle and subsequently surrendered. Thomas McCoy Sr. and Thomas McCoy Jr. send word of mouth calling for their kinfolk's reunion. Thomas McCoy Jr. , otherwise known as Tommy, received a letter from Terry, his former betrothed, that hinted at knowing something about valuables taken from the Southerners. Tommy is sent to confirm the authenticity of the information from Terry and possibly get a map that would lead them to the storage camps.

The McCoys have to carefully plan on their next course of action. They endanger their lives in each mission, which aims at giving them a better life after the war. The main reason for their involvement in these missions is justice for the Southerners, whose lives were destroyed by the war. They also aim at getting something, with which to rebuild their lives. Will they succeed? Will Tommy reignite the faded flame of love that he shared with Terry?

Written from a first person point of view, the book gives a detailed narration of the role played by the McCoy kinfolk in this quest for justice. Tommy, one of the main protagonist in the novel, gives us an insight of the real events as the unfolded. His vivid descriptions played a vital role in pacing the book, especially at the exposition stages of the novel. The holistic nature of the book is also evident in the overall character development of other characters. Initially, I thought that the whole story revolved around Tommy and his father but as I read on, the significance of other characters came out clearly.

Flashback is the dominant stylistic device in this book. Tommy jogs back and forth in justifying their missions and both the social and psychological prices they had to pay for it. Personally, the success of their mission would determine his (Tommy) fate with Terry, incase he wishes to spend their lives on the ranch. Although the author also employed flash-forward towards the end of the book, other stylistic devices used to develop the plot included but not limited to: dialogue, story within a story and suspense.

The book is professionally edited as I found only two typos. History students seeking first-hand information about the American Civil War will greatly benefit from this book. Other readers, who desire a taste of old life characterized by archaic modes of transport such as the use of wagons and gun-powder during warfares will enjoy this book too. I, therefore, rate it four out of four stars.

The McCoys Before The Feud
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bet on Me! :idea:
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

I rated it 4 out of 4 too, I enjoyed it. I like the direct and fast pace, also it was fresh and didn't have any erotic scene. Thanks for you review.
Kanda_theGreat

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

bookreviewmi1111 wrote: 23 May 2020, 05:26 I rated it 4 out of 4 too, I enjoyed it. I like the direct and fast pace, also it was fresh and didn't have any erotic scene. Thanks for you review.
I really appreciate for the feedback that you have provided.💫
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

I've read several reviews on this book. I like the Mediaval war stories, and this is definitely my kind of book. Nice review!
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Kanda_theGreat

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

JM Reviews wrote: 23 May 2020, 09:59 I've read several reviews on this book. I like the Mediaval war stories, and this is definitely my kind of book. Nice review!
Thank you for passing by.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I read this book and want to read about what happens next. It will be interesting to see what the family members will do.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I will love to read this one. Books of the medieval genre appeals to me lately. Thank you for a beautiful review.
Kanda_theGreat

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Leen282 wrote: 29 May 2020, 06:24 I read this book and want to read about what happens next. It will be interesting to see what the family members will do.
Kanda_theGreat

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Adanna Inya wrote: 29 May 2020, 06:30 I will love to read this one. Books of the medieval genre appeals to me lately. Thank you for a beautiful review.
I hope that this book makes your reading experience worth the while.
Thank you for the comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”