Official Review: Dreams That Never Were by Greg Messel

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Everydayadventure15
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 72
Favorite Book: First Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-everydayadventure15.html
Latest Review: Plunder by Keith Wilson

Official Review: Dreams That Never Were by Greg Messel

Post by Everydayadventure15 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dreams That Never Were" by Greg Messel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alex Hurley, a young reporter for the Associated Press, finds himself waking up in a hospital on the morning of June 5, 1968. The proceedings of the night before are blurry: he remembers being front and center for Robert F. Kennedy's victory speech after winning the California Primary, but then all chaos broke loose. Soon, the memories rush back: he remembers Kennedy going down, the shots fired, the shock of realizing he had been caught in the crossfire, being trampled, the world going black—and now his dreams of future peace are lost.

Dreams That Never Were, by Greg Messel, is a historical fiction account of the aftermath of Robert F. Kennedy's assassination in 1968. The story follows the fictional character Alex Hurley as he copes with the loss of hope and all the "what ifs" of the tragic night when the presidential hopeful was killed.

The author did an excellent job of setting a somber tone as he recaps the night of the Primary. This first chapter read as a sort of prologue, setting the scene for the tragedy before transitioning to Alex's perspective in chapter two. From there, the reader gets to experience the emotional climate of the year 1968 as Alex reminisces about the death of Martin Luther King, the ongoing Vietnam War, and the impact of the loss of Senator Kennedy.

The book also has a lighter note as Alex finds himself in a tentatively-blossoming romance that gives him a light of hope in an otherwise dark time. Messel weaves in some notes of suspense as he touches on the conspiracies that arose at the time. The story was engaging and sparked some curiosity in me. As the events unfolded in the story, I found myself doing additional research to find out more about the '60s. This was my favorite aspect of the book: I enjoy learning, and this book left me with a rich experience of the emotions that fueled America in a year that was unfamiliar to me.

There was not much to dislike about the book except for the editing issues. Because I found more than ten errors, I rate the book 3 out of 4. A final round of proofreading would clear up these errors and easily rate a full four stars. The book is fitting for an adult audience with a handful of mild profanities and a bit of sensual content that involved passionate kissing and lovemaking. The author's writing style was simple and straightforward, his story compelling, and I would certainly consider reading another of his currently-available books. This one was an educational delight that I think will be a hit with other fans of historical fiction as well.

Dreams That Never Were
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

hasincla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hasincla.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II

Post by hasincla »

An interesting take on a famous event! I like that there was a lot of research that went into the book, it adds so much in terms of authenticity and background. I'm not a super fan of American history, so I'll pass on this one. Thank you for your review!

Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

I'm inclined to appreciate Alex's character build-up already. He strikes me as an interesting character, I'd find out more for myself. Great and apt review.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: The Last Merry Go Round by C.L. Charlesworth

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like a good mixture of fiction and fact! I also like that there is a bit of a love story weaved into the plot. Thanks for the lovely review.

Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

I am glad that there is a bit of romance in it, because I am not really a fan if history.Its nice you enjoyed it,i will try it out.Thanks.

Irene_A
2019 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-a.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Irene_A »

Great review. Not a fan of historical fiction but like you stated, any book that encourages me to do some research, I pick interest in.

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 188
Currently Reading: Untold Deception
Bookshelf Size: 203
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: The Druids by Ilene Birkwood
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn »

I admire the research that goes into historical books, and also that it made you want to do further research on your own. There aren't many authors who can inspire that. I'm not into historical fiction, but I'm sure the book will find its readership among those who are. Thanks for the interesting review!

Caffrey_19
2019 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Caffrey_19 »

Historical moments are intriguing parts of a story. It helps the readers relive events that were once breaking news. Nice work

geebeex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geebeex.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by geebeex »

This book sounds really interesting -I've never read anything about the Kennedy assassination. Thanks for the great review!

Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

What a year 1968 was - the death of Martin Luther King, the Vietnam war and the loss of Senator Kennedy. This historical fiction has a lot to be learnt about the Americans. Thanks for your excellent review.

fadjei
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fadjei.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by fadjei »

This sounds like an engaging read. It's fiction but also has a historical context to it. I think I would like this book a lot.
Thanks for the review!

Sushan
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 120
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: My Island Home by Penelope Ann Smith-Carter Dichiera

Post by Sushan »

An historical fiction arround a well known tragedy! Sounds interesting. Thanks for the nice and descriptive review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: In the Realm of Ash and Sorrow by Kenneth W. Harmon

Post by rumik »

Interesting concept, a historical fiction novel from the perspective of a reporter who witnessed the assassination. I guess this book is extremely character-focused? If so, I would love to try it. Thanks for the great review!

Ebby Brown
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebby-brown.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ebby Brown »

The book seems to be interesting with a bit of history and romance apart from politics. Wonderful review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”