Review by Leen282 -- The McCoys Before The Feud

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leen282
2021 Reading Goal: 26
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Review by Leen282 -- The McCoys Before The Feud

Post by Leen282 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The McCoys Before The Feud" by Thomas McCoy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The McCoys: Before The Feud by Thomas A. McCoy is a historical fiction novel, telling us the story of the extended McCoy family just after the end of the Civil War. The South has surrendered, and the soldiers can go home. Tommy McCoy receives an urgent request from Terry, his ex-fiancee, to contact her. When they meet, she informs him about a map her sister has been given, mentioning the existence and showing the location of several illegal sites with valuables stolen from Southern families. Tommy and his father, Thomas, decide to try and raid these sites to give the looted property back to the rightful owners. He calls out to the members of the McCoy family to help him in this endeavor. The book takes us through the preparations, happening, and results of the raids.

The McCoy family is real, troops were raiding and stealing valuable property from Southern families during the war, but the story itself is fictional. I like most the additional chapter, Author's Note, where the author explains the historical background to this fictional story. It gives an extra element of interest to the book.

I also like the story itself and how it unfolds. The story continues after this first book, which is part of a trilogy. The first book ends with a sample of the two other books, so the reader knows which storylines will continue.

I didn't like the long descriptions in the book. They allow for excellent visualization of the sites and the attacks; however, since they are too lengthy for my taste, it was counterproductive, and I was waiting for the story to pick up again with action. The names of the main characters are also quite confusing since a lot of them have the same name (James, Thomas). The Author's Note explains that these are the real names of the McCoy family, so it makes sense to keep them.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. There were a few errors (I noticed 10-15), but they are not impacting readability. I would have preferred having the three books combined in one, and having the descriptions more concise. Overall, the book appealed to me, and I want to know how the story continues in the next two volumes, which makes it a well-deserved three stars.

I think this book will appeal to readers who like to go on a journey in time, who enjoy reading about life in a different era.

The McCoys Before The Feud
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

Hey I am reading this book at the moment and it is interesting yo read you review. What I feel about this book so far is it sounds like a cowboy movie. I'm not the biggest fan of novel (I found most novels are boring), this this one is short and fast so I feel good when I read it.
Thank you for the review.
Leen282
2021 Reading Goal: 26
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

bookreviewmi1111 wrote: 11 May 2020, 12:29 Hey I am reading this book at the moment and it is interesting yo read you review. What I feel about this book so far is it sounds like a cowboy movie. I'm not the biggest fan of novel (I found most novels are boring), this this one is short and fast so I feel good when I read it.
Thank you for the review.
Enjoy the reading!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”