Official Review: I am a Soldier, First and Always: The Di...

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Official Review: I am a Soldier, First and Always: The Di...

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I am a Soldier, First and Always: The Distinguished Career of Major General Winfield Scott Hancock" by James Harold Kelly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are so many distinguished figures in military history one would have to compile several books to briefly cover all of them. When it comes to the nineteenth century, one name that can’t be left out is that of Winfield Scott Hancock. Hancock fought in the Mexican-American War and the American Civil War on the Union side, coming out as a war hero. He was even nominated for President later on. His story is the focus of James Harold Kelly’s "I am a soldier, first and always": The Distinguished Career of Major General Winfield Scott Hancock.

The book is a treat for fans of historical fiction and military novels, as the author does an impeccable job recreating events from the past using a mix of thorough research and creativity to fill in the gaps. This first volume is divided into two parts: “The Soldier,” which goes over Hancock’s education and first years of service, and “Rebellion,” which covers his participation in the Civil War before the Battle of Gettysburg. There are twenty-eight chapters in total.

As it tends to happen with historical novels, the book counts with an extensive cast of characters, to the point where the reader can easily get overwhelmed without pre-existing knowledge. Though I enjoyed the first part, which establishes Hancock as a charismatic, hard-working and capable soldier, very few characters get the same spotlight. In the second part, tons of officers from both sides of the war are introduced one after the other. At some point, I even forgot about one of the main character’s friends from the first part when he suddenly reappeared.

All of the military aspects are very detailed. Battles are a central element of the story, though the scenes aren’t particularly graphic and instead focus on strategy and army movements. This is great for military buffs, who get to witness intricate games of chess between generals with real lives on the line. The downside is that, just as with the large cast, it’s easy to get overwhelmed by the shifts in perspective and large-scale operations. The book does feature some maps that provide a clearer picture, but laymen might still be confused.

"I am a soldier, first and always": The Distinguished Career of Major General Winfield Scott Hancock delivers exactly what it promises: engaging lessons in military history with some literary flavor. The novel is also exceptionally edited, as I’ve only found one minor error. Though the sheer number of characters intimidated me, readers familiar with the period or willing to do some research should have an easier time following the story. For this reason, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. Due to the violence and occasional profanities, I don’t recommend it to younger audiences. You might also want to skip this if reading about military maneuvers in detail sounds boring to you. On the other hand, fans of military history should find plenty to enjoy, especially those interested in the American Civil War.

I am a Soldier, First and Always: The Distinguished Career of Major General Winfield Scott Hancock
View: on Bookshelves
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

I am very interested in military history and I would be looking to read this book. Thanks for your insights.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I love to read about war heroes. Seemingly this one will be a nice choice. Thanks for the insight 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Sushan wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 10:10 I love to read about war heroes. Seemingly this one will be a nice choice. Thanks for the insight 👍👍
Ogoskino wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 10:01 I am very interested in military history and I would be looking to read this book. Thanks for your insights.
If you enjoy reading about military history, then you'll definitely love this book. Thanks for the comments!
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I think I would shy away from this one. All those characters, I can easily see myself becoming confused as I read. Thank you for your review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I'm not a fan of military novels, so this definitely isn't a book for me. Great review, though!
TheCongSlayer
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TheCongSlayer »

I find Military History very fun to read and always have if there is anything Military History related then this is a book to read definitely for sure fiction or non-fiction it still would be a good read
Dushikirane
Currently Reading: The Way Forward to a New Global Economy
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Dushikirane »

This story mentioned in book , it makes me influences me to read more about miltary history . therefore thank you for insight
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Reading about military history is not my cup of tea. Additionally, I think the large number of people mentioned would be frustrating for me to keep up with. Thank you for your wonderful review, though!
fadjei
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fadjei.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by fadjei »

This sounds like a fascinating book. I love all types of history. I think I would enjoy this book alot.
Thanks for the review!
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I think I'll have to skip on this one. The number of characters and the strong military connotation of the book intimidates me a little bit. Thank you for your informative and well-written review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 17:13 I'm not a fan of military novels, so this definitely isn't a book for me. Great review, though!
TheCongSlayer wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 20:08 I find Military History very fun to read and always have if there is anything Military History related then this is a book to read definitely for sure fiction or non-fiction it still would be a good read
Dushikirane wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 08:07 This story mentioned in book , it makes me influences me to read more about miltary history . therefore thank you for insight
Prisallen wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 08:04 Reading about military history is not my cup of tea. Additionally, I think the large number of people mentioned would be frustrating for me to keep up with. Thank you for your wonderful review, though!
fadjei wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 14:06 This sounds like a fascinating book. I love all types of history. I think I would enjoy this book alot.
Thanks for the review!
espo wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 05:18 I think I'll have to skip on this one. The number of characters and the strong military connotation of the book intimidates me a little bit. Thank you for your informative and well-written review!
Letora wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 05:49 I think I would shy away from this one. All those characters, I can easily see myself becoming confused as I read. Thank you for your review!
I can see how the book might not appeal to readers who aren't military history enthusiasts, as it can get overwhelming at times if you don't know the historical context and characters. Thanks for the comments!
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

Sounds like a great book! I love historical fiction, military fiction not so much. Maybe this book could be a starting point for me in the military genre? Thanks for the great review!
gboyeobe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gboyeobe »

This sounds interesting,
It will be a book to read,
I suppose there are always war heroes in every battle,just according to how the events plays out.
I look forward to have full story.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

rumik wrote: 15 Apr 2020, 09:36 Sounds like a great book! I love historical fiction, military fiction not so much. Maybe this book could be a starting point for me in the military genre? Thanks for the great review!
It's always a good time to try something new, though you might get overwhelmed by the details if you don't know much about the Civil War. Thanks for the comment!

Return to “Historical Fiction”