Review by JoyALB -- Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JoyALB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyalb.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Review by JoyALB -- Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by JoyALB »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Killing Abel by Michael Tieman is an almost entirely fictional account of what transpired between ‘In the beginning...’ and ‘And God remembered Noah...’. Based on definite events depicted in the Christian Bible, the author draws conclusions and relays a tantalizing narration of these well-known stories.

Many people ponder and deliberate what life was like after Adam and Eve left the Garden of Eden. Presumably the only two people alive, they had much to learn and understand. I guess none of us can fully comprehend this. Michael Tieman does a fine job, though.

With what he has culled from the Bible, facts discovered, and his own imagination, the author illustrates what these first characters may have experienced after the fall. It is an enthralling read that veers from the norm.

Many of us have embedded in our mind that the ‘forbidden fruit’ was an apple. The Bible never specifies this, however, and the author has a unique view. In this book, he uses a fig. I appreciated his disparate perspective. It alludes to the idea that we should not just accept things at face value. What they have taught you may not be the absolute reality.

The murder of Abel also deviates slightly from the original. From what we read in the Bible, Cain’s offering did not please God, but Abel’s did. This enraged the former, leading him to kill his brother. Is that all? The author doesn’t determine so. With the construction of a backstory, Tieman methodically paints a bigger picture for the reader. This will broaden your mind to greater possibilities.

There is not much I did not enjoy, except his representation of God. I don’t believe that the Father was confused of what to do after man ate from the tree. My belief is that He always has a plan. Nothing we can do could ever surprise Him. However, this is a matter of opinion and I understand that this is the author’s viewpoint.

I rate Killing Abel 4 out of 4 stars. It is creative, yet does not take away from the original stories.

I did not find many errors, leading me to conclude that the book was professionally edited. I recommend this to readers 18 and up as sexual scenes (though these are not explicitly detailed) do appear. I don’t assume all Christians will enjoy this book, and I don’t judge non-Christians will not. I recommend it to those who are looking for an innovative read with a Christian undertone.

Killing Abel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”