Official Review: Phil Collins Must Die by Rad Crews

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 458
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Phil Collins Must Die by Rad Crews

Official Review: Phil Collins Must Die by Rad Crews

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Phil Collins Must Die" by Rad Crews.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Phil Collins Must Die by Rad Crews is the story of Mark who, while on a plane, is remembering the Live Aid concert from 1985. Mark was driving to the event when he met two young girls, Dena and Sheila, who had just been through a horrible experience on their way to the same concert in Philadelphia. Soon, the girls joined Mark on his journey to that fateful concert.

I watched the concert on television as a teenager, and I knew all the main singers and bands from back then. Phil Collins has always been a favorite artist ever since. Thus, I was very curious why Phil Collins had to die. Having read the book, I realized that I never really received a clear answer to my question. Also, the concert itself only featured in a few middle chapters. The rest of the book was an enjoyable story about three people thrown together while on their journey to that unforgettable event.

The story itself was a pleasant read; however, I found some parts during the drive to and from the concert a bit long, with the author detailing many mundane events surrounding the journey. What really got my heart pumping was featured in the last few chapters of the book. There was a twist I didn’t see coming, which was perfect, albeit sad. The end of the book offered another twist that made me tear up. After the slow start, the book redeemed itself in these last few fast-paced chapters with the heart-racing elements that kept me turning the pages to see what happened next.

I found Mark to be an honest young man who didn’t waver for a second when presented with the opportunity to help two women in need. He was the most memorable character of the three. Dena was an impressionable young woman of her time. Sheila, Dena’s friend, was quite interesting, as well. Despite her flirty personality, she had something deeper, more mature inside, which I quite liked.

Overall, Phil Collins Must Die was a fun read. It could have been shorter, with some paragraphs and chapters edited out to increase the overall pacing. My biggest issue, however, was the presence of several grammatical errors in the book, especially involving the wrong use of apostrophes. The author used them where he shouldn’t have and omitted them from places that required them. Thus, I award the book 3 out of 4 stars. Tightening the plot a little and editing the book for grammatical mistakes could easily bring the rating up to 4 stars. If you are looking for an action-packed adventure novel, this book might not be for you. However, if slower-paced love stories full of drama and character study give you joy when reading, you should pick up Phil Collins Must Die.

Phil Collins Must Die
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

ivana7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana7.html
Latest Review: The Apathetical Man by Gregory Martin McLeod

Post by ivana7 »

Live Aid was one of the biggest concerts in history, especially for its purpose and for the musicians who performed there. Phill Collins is one of them and the very title of this book intrigued me to take it and read it. Judging by your review, though at a slower pace, I might like it. Thanks for the review!

Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

The same impression I got when I saw the title - "who is Phil Collins and why does he have to die?" It feels unsatisfying to learn this question was not answered as expressed in your review.

Salma_asa
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Meryl Streep: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Salma_asa »

From the title, I thought it was a mystery thriller book and wanted to read it. Now I am hesitant. Anyway you wrote a great review.

praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by praise+anyi »

I love the fact that you mentioned the storyline being unpredictable in the last chapters. I hope I don't end up releasing the same tears you shed when I pick this book. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”