Review by derialist -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Review by derialist -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by derialist »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fox" by M. N. J. Butler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Fox by M.N.J. Butler is a historical fiction novel about early Greek society. The novel is divided into four books. The first book in the novel describes the various dynasties that existed in Sparta. It includes an elaborate family-tree of the imperial families in Sparta. Fascinating aspects of the Spartan culture are also highlighted: the upbringing of the Spartan children is left to a few people, the ‘Hidden Thing’ (an initiation ceremony in which boys were sent to the forest to catch a feral animal or criminals), and Gymnopaidia, which is a yearly celebration in which the Spartan youth would dance naked to showcase their self-defense skills and athletic capabilities.

The fascinating story is narrated from the perspective of Leotychides (son of King Agis II of the Agiad palace), whose younger years coincided with the long war when the Delian League (led by Athens) fought against the Peloponnesian League (led by Sparta). At the age of eight, Leotychides willingly joined a flock along with ten other boys where they were instructed music, dance, and basic sword skills. Boys who joined a flock were informed about their duty to Sparta, the key emphasis being obedience.

The book includes a detailed glossary of the characters and noteworthy events in Sparta. I naturally found this to be helpful for reference, especially in specific instances where characters share a common name. I would earnestly advise a new reader to go through the glossary before reading the book to get the most out of it. I liked the pacing of the book. The pacing was neither too fast nor too slow; a reader’s comprehension of the story is unlikely to be affected by the speed at which the events transpire. Another thing that I appreciated is that the author is not over-descriptive; the reader benefits from descriptions that are just enough for him or her to conjure images of a specific scene in the mind without overpowering the reader’s senses.

I have refrained from mentioning interesting developments within the story to avoid giving away too much information. The story does have a healthy dosage of conflicts between persons, within a person, and between empires. Every choice book should at least possess that! Another interesting thing to mention is that the majority of the characters are male; female characters are given less weight to the overall story-telling compared to their male counterparts. It is likely an allusion to the idea that female members of the Spartan society played a less distinguished role in society.

There was nothing I didn’t enjoy about the book. It doesn't include any erotic literature, but it does incorporate minimal use of obscenities. The book is well-edited because the errors within the book were minimal. The book isn't well-formatted. There are entire pages with one sentence in the middle of a chapter. However, after reading a few chapters I wasn’t bothered about it.

I am pleased to issue this book a 4 out of 4 stars ratings. It provides the reader a unique glimpse into the ancient civilization that many know little about: beyond the mythical Gods and the fact that it is prehistoric. It will have the most appeal to readers who heartily enjoy reading historical fiction accounts. I would not recommend this to children because of the use of profanities.

The Fox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”