Official Review: Bucket of Whitewash by David J. Diamond

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Official Review: Bucket of Whitewash by David J. Diamond

Post by winecellarlibrary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bucket of Whitewash" by David J. Diamond.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bucket of Whitewash by David J. Diamond is a historical fiction novel based on the racial tension present in Mississippi in 1963. The stark contrast between the environments in Chicago, Illinois and Pinewood, Mississippi effectively demonstrates how obsolescent the South’s ideals had become in comparison to those of the rest of the nation. Whereas Angie could pursue her education as a graduate student in Chicago, upon returning home, she cannot drink from the same fountain or sit on the same bench as her white oppressors.

When Craig’s wife, Tanya, leaves to pursue a career as a famous model after literally stopping traffic in her bikini, Craig is not sure whether his wife will ever come back. Already dedicated to his work, he buries himself in his research alongside his student research assistant Angie. Now that Tanya has left, Angie finally reveals her sexual interest in Craig, who pragmatically turns her down; he is a professor at the university and is still legally married. Deeply hurt by this rejection, Angie returns home to Mississippi after a seven-year absence. She is welcomed by her proud and loving parents, who are well-respected in the community despite their skin color because they accept their lower status and do not reject the Jim Crow laws. After a few weeks of assisting her family on their farm, Angie decides to go into town, and over the course of a single day, she experiences inconceivable abuse and brutality inflicted by racist white townspeople. They recognize that she has been successful in Chicago, and they want to put her back in her place.

Bucket of Whitewash is not for the faint-hearted. There are detailed and graphic scenes of torture and abuse. The “N-word” is used frequently, as it would have been in Mississippi at the time. Just when you think Angie will get a reprieve, things get significantly worse. The worst part of all is that many of the devices used to inflict pain and humiliation are those that were used by real people in our nation’s history. Although this is a work of fiction, the crimes against humanity are not. After everything that happens, Angie finds herself as a defendant in court, though she is guilty for nothing but having ebony skin.

The author’s writing truly shines in the court scenes. The line of questioning used by the prosecutor is remarkably written, as are his and the defense attorney’s closing statements. These scenes were the most powerful and effectively revealed the contrasting ideals of the North and the South.

Unfortunately, the book was overflowing with errors. On my reading device, I highlighted over 250 errors in the text. The errors were so frequent that they became a distraction. Additionally, there was little to no development of the setting or characters. There is a simplicity in the writing that prevents the reader from truly connecting to Angie, despite everything she endures, which was my least favorite aspect of the book. I wanted to connect with her as a character, but I felt like I was just watching rather than experiencing these scenes with her. Decisions are made by characters and just accepted by others, such as Tanya’s decision to leave Craig to become a model on their anniversary night; Craig hardly questions her decision and just goes to bed, and neither character seems to have any complex feelings about the situation. We accept that they do not like being separated because the author tells us so, rather than showing it.

Once corrections are made, this book would be a good choice for school reading for mature readers. It contains only mild references to sexual activity, and the only profanity is the use of the “N-word.” The scenes of torture are not excessive. If a student can read The Color Purple, he or she is mature enough to read this book.

Overall, due to the issues listed above and the immense number of errors, I must give Bucket of Whitewash 2 out of 4 stars. Although the topic and themes in this book are something that everyone in America should read and remember, the book requires significant editing and a bit more polishing to be truly remarkable.

Bucket of Whitewash
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

Very sensitive topic and still applies to modern-day. I am disappointing that the book had an alarming number of errors which is a huge turn-off for me. Thanks for the honest review.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

Ogoskino wrote: 11 Mar 2020, 07:13 Very sensitive topic and still applies to modern-day. I am disappointing that the book had an alarming number of errors which is a huge turn-off for me. Thanks for the honest review.
Despite the sensitive nature of the topic, yes, it remains highly relevant today. The author handles the subject gracefully. I hope you will keep this book in mind if the author publishes a revised edition. Thank you for your comment!
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

One of my preferred topics to study is sociology, and I keep in touch with marginalized communities. This sounds like an amazing read to expand my knowledge on these topics. The editing required is a shame, but will still considering picking it up. Thank you very much for such a thorough review.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

I wonder why people who ask for book reviews don't have someone proof them before submission. The number of errors and the lack of character motivation signals such inexperience. Thank you for running interference.

Return to “Historical Fiction”