Official Review: Sons of a Citizen Soldier

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 319
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Weeping Willow's Wish by Brenda Elzin

Official Review: Sons of a Citizen Soldier

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sons of a Citizen Soldier" by Mark Abernathy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Set in 1970, Sons of a Citizen Soldier by Mark Abernathy is the story of a father and his two sons as they navigate circumstances that threaten their family. Cope, the family patriarch, is a WWII veteran. One of his sons is an attack pilot being sent to Vietnam; the other has burned his draft card despite fears of disappointing his father. While the brothers seem to be heading toward different paths, they are reunited through an unexpected chain of events. They will protect their father and family's livelihood at all costs in this action-packed storyline.

This professionally edited book is 221 pages and features an action-packed plot that is driven by strong characterization. The recurring themes are good prevails over evil, and the end justifies the means. The plot includes a lot of violence, and sensitive readers should also be aware that the book contains sexual references and R-rated profanity.

Abernathy skillfully crafts a cast of strong male characters with distinct personalities. I particularly like his portrayal of Cope and his devotion to his two sons. Cope's actions exemplify commitment even when he doesn't agree with their choices. Abernathy poignantly conveys Elliot's inner conflict as he is torn between disappointing his father and fighting a war he doesn't support. Cope's younger son, Jack, faces challenges when unforeseen circumstances impede his career path.

Unfortunately, the same craftsmanship is lacking in the female characters. Abernathy describes women by their physical attributes: "The first thing they noticed were her long longs, then her supple hips and voluminous breasts trying to escape her bikini top." The storyline would have been enhanced by portraying women for qualities other than their sexual appeal and abilities to fetch pizza and frolic on the beach.

Halfway through the book, Cope comments, "Just when you don't know what to do, a solution appears. It's amazing." Unfortunately, these "amazing solutions" seem to follow every conflict, making them less believable and more predictable. Without exposing any spoilers, I'll say that I dislike the increasingly unrealistic aspects of the plot, including the conclusion.

I struggled with the rating for this book; given its strong male characterization, the objectified females are disappointing. Overall, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars, deducting a star for its predictable resolutions and lack of strong female presence. I recommend it to mature readers who appreciate wild adventures and don't mind violence. It will also appeal to those interested in survivalist lifestyles, gold mining, and treasure hunting. However, those who dislike the objectification of women will prefer to skip this one.

Sons of a Citizen Soldier
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Ever_Reading
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading: Hunting for silence
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: The Open Door by Gary Luitjens
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ever_Reading »

The book has such an amazing premise. Too bad the poor female characterization and predictable resolutions made the book a little less enjoyable. Thanks for the honest review!
Here’s to books, the cheapest vacation you can buy.
— Charlaine Harris :techie-studyingbrown:

Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Amy747 »

I admire people who bravely fight in wars but I dont understand those who want to go. Id definitely be the son who burned his draft.

Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nkoo »

Sad to know that women were not given any serious characterization in this book aside from their physical attributes; it appears it's sexist in nature. The book sounds like it has some good storyline though. Thanks!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ever_Reading wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 03:42
The book has such an amazing premise. Too bad the poor female characterization and predictable resolutions made the book a little less enjoyable. Thanks for the honest review!
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Amy747 wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 07:17
I admire people who bravely fight in wars but I dont understand those who want to go. Id definitely be the son who burned his draft.
Thanks for your comment, Amy.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nkoo wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 13:59
Sad to know that women were not given any serious characterization in this book aside from their physical attributes; it appears it's sexist in nature. The book sounds like it has some good storyline though. Thanks!
Thank you for commenting. :tiphat:

Return to “Historical Fiction”