Official Review: Operation Olive Tree by Jemil Metti

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: Managing With Respect
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Operation Olive Tree by Jemil Metti

Official Review: Operation Olive Tree by Jemil Metti

Post by Rayasaurus »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Operation Olive Tree" by Jemil Metti.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Operation Olive Tree by Jemil Metti features an atypical school in Israel and shows the Israel-Palestinian conflict from the early 1980s. This historical fiction novel primarily follows two characters, an Israeli teenager named Irith Goldman and a Palestinian teenager named Jamal Shaheen. The two of them attend a school known as both Neve Shalom and Wahat-Al-Salam, and this school exists to promote peaceful coexistence amidst the political turmoil between Israel and Palestine. In their quest to promote peace, Neve Shalom and its teachers support Irith and Jamal as an opera-singing duo. The goal is to show unity through music, but not all is well. Political tension and strife in the community boils around the two of them, ultimately showing that the teenagers are simply pawns in a much larger game. In this action-packed, thrilling historical fiction novel, the question shifts from whether Irith and Jamal can bring unity to their peoples through music to whether they themselves can successfully make it to adulthood.

My favorite part of this novel was definitely the relationships in this story. Jamal and Irith’s relationship was realistic for both their situations and the time period they existed in. Between Irith’s defense of Jamal and Palestinians in general and Jamal’s protective actions of Irith, one could tell that they sincerely cared about each other. I love the way some characters use their relationships to sway other characters into doing what they want, and how each relationship was different from all of the others. Each character was unique and had varied interests, goals, and personality traits. The diversity of thought in the cast was incredible yet realistic.

Unfortunately, there were many punctuation errors in this book. While each error was small, when combined they created a somewhat distracting environment for the reader. An editor would have been able to catch many if not all of the errors. Honestly, there was not anything that I personally disliked about the story itself. The plot is very intricate and complicated, and at times it can be confusing if one did not pay close attention. I enjoyed this aspect of the book, but some readers do not, so choose this book when looking for a very involved read.

Overall, I would have loved to give this book a perfect rating. I enjoyed everything about the story, the wording and phrasing, and the characters. However, due to the volume of errors in Operation Olive Tree, I must rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

This book is an excellent choice for anyone who enjoys historical fiction, espionage stories, political stories, or anyone who wants to learn more about some of the issues in the Middle East in a more fun and relaxing way than reading news articles or textbooks. Additionally, there are multiple perspectives in the book, so it seems more balanced than many books on the subject. However, this book is not for people who are sensitive towards themes of racism, child abuse, police brutality, terrorism, homosexuality, or homophobia. There is also violence and death in this novel even though none of it is particularly graphic. There is some realistically-used profanity, but there is nothing erotic in this novel.

Operation Olive Tree
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Shabram22
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Shabram22 »

Sounds like a great book that I would love to read. Hopefully the author can get this book professionally edited do that they can get a perfect rating. Great job on your review.

justin20
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by justin20 »

Such a great way to connect conflict relations through, such music dialog and make connections is a great way to find peace.

adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by adamgreenrock »

I love a good dual protagonists story every now and then. Especially when both of them are different but yet care each other a lot. It gives out a lot of possibility of their character relationships and their development. Thanks for your review!

LandSharkKano
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LandSharkKano »

This sounds like a very interesting read. I will keep an eye out for it once it has gone through editing.

Everydayadventure15
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 72
Favorite Book: Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-everydayadventure15.html
Latest Review: Wounded Heart by Colleen Hall

Post by Everydayadventure15 »

I don’t usually like political stories but this one sounds like it has many great elements like strong relationships, diverse characters, and suspense. Thanks for a great review!

Rayasaurus

Post by Rayasaurus »

Shabram22 wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 03:40
Sounds like a great book that I would love to read. Hopefully the author can get this book professionally edited do that they can get a perfect rating. Great job on your review.
I hope so too! Thank you for commenting!
justin20 wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 03:56
Such a great way to connect conflict relations through, such music dialog and make connections is a great way to find peace.
Music certainly does connect us even through conflict; good observation. Thank you for your comment!
adamgreenrock wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 04:10
I love a good dual protagonists story every now and then. Especially when both of them are different but yet care each other a lot. It gives out a lot of possibility of their character relationships and their development. Thanks for your review!
Yes, I really loved the characters and their development throughout the book. Thank you for your comment!
LandSharkKano wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 11:26
This sounds like a very interesting read. I will keep an eye out for it once it has gone through editing.
I'm glad! I think it's a really excellent story. Thank you for your comment!
Everydayadventure15 wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 12:19
I don’t usually like political stories but this one sounds like it has many great elements like strong relationships, diverse characters, and suspense. Thanks for a great review!
It really does have quite a number of great elements. Thanks for commenting!

xoxoAnushka
2019 Reading Goal: 1
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by xoxoAnushka »

It seems like an intriguing read, I hope the author polishes his work. Amazing review btw!!

InStoree
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 205
Currently Reading: Peacock White survival
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: Guilty Photographs by SI Taylor

Post by InStoree »

What an engaging theme! I like the author's idea of using one of the man's greatest creations, music, in order to bring peaceful times between Israel and Palestina. I'm looking forward to seeing Irith and Jamal's outcome. Great review! Thanks!
Keep It Stupid Simple!

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: The Sunborn
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Transference by B.T. Keaton

Post by NetMassimo »

A shame about the errors as from the review it seems a great book. It's not for everyone considering its contents but it's significant for its connection to a conflict that too often is overlooked. Thank you for your interesting review! :)
Ciao :)
Massimo

Julius_
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Broadsword
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: On the Third Day by King Lizzard

Post by Julius_ »

A book with very realistic relationship considering both the time and situation. I'm not so much into romance novel, but your review made me so curious. I'll check it out. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

inaramid
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 62
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 77
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: Winners and Losers in words and cartoons by Arthur Hartz

Post by inaramid »

I love the title and how it seems to fit into the book's themes. Mentions of errors are usually enough to turn me off, but the story sounds compelling enough to make up for any flaws. I enjoyed reading your review!

Rayasaurus

Post by Rayasaurus »

xoxoAnushka wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 16:07
It seems like an intriguing read, I hope the author polishes his work. Amazing review btw!!
InStoree wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 23:45
What an engaging theme! I like the author's idea of using one of the man's greatest creations, music, in order to bring peaceful times between Israel and Palestina. I'm looking forward to seeing Irith and Jamal's outcome. Great review! Thanks!
NetMassimo wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 05:47
A shame about the errors as from the review it seems a great book. It's not for everyone considering its contents but it's significant for its connection to a conflict that too often is overlooked. Thank you for your interesting review! :)
Julius_ wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 07:48
A book with very realistic relationship considering both the time and situation. I'm not so much into romance novel, but your review made me so curious. I'll check it out. Thanks for the review.
inaramid wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 18:59
I love the title and how it seems to fit into the book's themes. Mentions of errors are usually enough to turn me off, but the story sounds compelling enough to make up for any flaws. I enjoyed reading your review!
Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

Cotwani
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: His Betrayals by Jerry Payne

Post by Cotwani »

Sounds like a fun book with some intense themes. Glad you enjoyed it. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Charlyt »

This seems like a book that I'd like to read despite the errors. The part where they used music to bring unity got my interest. Great review!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG

Return to “Historical Fiction”