Review by Mbrooks2518 -- Skills of the Warramunga

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Review by Mbrooks2518 -- Skills of the Warramunga

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater, a case of mistaken identity leads to the abduction of Colonel John Cook of MI6. Australian CIS operatives Jamie and Jacko, along with Jacko’s sister, Sarah, are called in to locate him in the Malayan jungle and rescue him. Later, information from various sources alert officials that the bandits that took him, along with others they are working, with plan to disrupt the celebrations at the official proclamation of the Malay Union. Afterwards, another problem comes up that sends Jamie, Jacko, and Sarah back into the jungle.

Although this is the third book in the Warramunga Series, it can be read without reading the ones before it. This is the first I’ve read in this series, and the only negative for not reading the first two is that there were some missing details, pertaining mostly to the characters’ background and development, where it would have been helpful to have already read the first two books. However, these missing details did not negatively affect my enjoyment of the book. They only made me more interested in reading the first two books.

The thing I liked the most about this book was how well the writing and gripping, fast paced plot was able to draw me into the story from the first page through the rest of the book. Even when I had to stop reading, it was very easy for me to get sucked back into the story when I continued.

I also liked that some German words, like sehr gut, and Malay words, like Tuan, were used. They add some authenticity to the characters and the setting, which helped to immerse me in the story.

The only minor criticism I have is that there were moments that should have been more suspenseful, and I should have been holding my breath, wondering if the characters were going to be caught, but I just didn’t feel it. However, this wasn’t the case for the entire book, and these moments didn’t keep me from thoroughly enjoying the book.

Given the length of the book, the editing was good, however there were more than ten editing errors, so I have to take away a star. Along with the moments that were lacking in suspense, I have decided on a final rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Overall, I enjoyed this book, and I recommend it to anyone who likes action and adventure stories. There was no graphic violence or sexual situations, and the only swear word used was damn, so this book is appropriate for young adults.

Skills of the Warramunga
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”