Review by HoneyBea -- Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval W...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HoneyBea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybea.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Review by HoneyBea -- Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval W...

Post by HoneyBea »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath" by Randy Miller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered what life was like aboard a Naval ship during the Vietnam war? In this book, Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath , Randy Miller creates a world that revolves around a fictional character, Zack Martin, and his Naval journey. The reader explores stories of lives similar to those actually lived during the Vietnam war and its Agent Orange debacle. The audience dives into the lives of the men aboard the USS Hawke and the hardships that they face as they deploy to Vietnam.

This book is excellent for anyone and everyone who enjoys learning history. Even audience members that don’t know the parts of a ship can follow along, as the main character is also being introduced to the inner-workings of Naval ships. I really enjoyed the fact that Zack was new, it allowed me to learn the layout of the ship alongside the main character. The author also has an amazing way of pulling you into the story and attaching you to the main characters. It’s easy to feel the heartache that they do as they struggle with life and loss.

While this book was entrancing, there is something that I did dislike about it. This book is historical fiction but explores and describes real ships, and I think it could be improved by providing maps of the interiors of the ships. For younger audience members, or readers that are less experienced with Naval ships, the descriptions of some of the areas on the ship can be confusing, and a map would be an excellent addition to help guide the reader.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, not only for its near flawless editing but also for the story which was crafted in such an enchanting way. The author, Randy Miller, has a way of pulling the reader back in time, and you really feel as if you too are experiencing the hardships of these characters. I felt that this book deserves a 4 and nothing less, because of the powerfully moving, and chilling reality that this book brings to light.

I believe that books, such as this one, are incredibly important for people to read. While it is fiction, this book treads awfully close to the realities that many, many soldiers and families faced during this war. History textbooks in schools don’t cover the raw truths that books like Deadly Waters does, and this needs to change.

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”