Review by Haleydiaz2 -- Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Haleydiaz2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleydiaz2.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Review by Haleydiaz2 -- Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by Haleydiaz2 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dagger's Destiny" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dagger’s Destiny, the second novel in the Curse of Clansmen and Kings series by Linnea Tanner, continues the story of Celtic princess Catrin and her Roman lover Marcellus. Via the backdrop of political intrigue and impending war, readers will encounter romance, loyalty, mystery, betrayal, and the darkness that often accompanies those who hunger for power above all else.

After choosing to save Marcellus from death, Catrin is declared a traitor. Rather than sentencing his daughter to execution or exile, King Amren chooses to send Catrin to train as a warrior in the hope of changing the curse placed upon the kingdom. Meanwhile, Marcellus, wounded and disgraced, returns to the Roman encampment. There, he tries to convince the Romans to leave Britannia and sever their alliance with Catrin’s evil half-brother. Despite his best efforts, war looms closer. Pulled in multiple directions, both Catrin and Marcellus must decipher if it is indeed possible to be loyal to both one’s family and one’s heart.

What I liked most about Dagger’s Destiny are the empowering, female characters. The women are fierce, loving, and ready to fight for their homes, families, and beliefs. This rings particularly true for main character Catrin as she overcomes many difficult situations with tenacity and courage. Moreover, Linnea Tanner seems to have found her stride writing this book. The characters were fairly well-developed in book one, but they went through emotional and perspective changes so quickly, it was reminiscent of a soap opera. However in this book, the characters feel much more stable and each experiences significant growth. Also, much like the last book, it is obvious that Linnea Tanner has conducted a considerable amount of research to ensure that mystical/religious beliefs and political interactions are accurate. In fact, there is an eight page (Mobile Kindle version) Author’s Note describing her research.

I believe that this novel is professionally edited. There are only a few, minor grammatical errors. These include mistakes like poor word choice or using an incorrect homonym. Additionally, there are some errors where the author used the wrong character name or accidentally wrote a character’s name without a primary introduction (i.e. The druid character was initially introduced to the story as anonymous, but the author started a new sentence with his name, though the character hadn’t given it yet. She then continued to refer to him as “the Druid,” until she officially introduces him later). However, any errors do not detract from the reader’s experience. It is also important to note that there are numerous instances of non-borderline profanity and descriptive erotic content throughout the novel.

What I liked least was that many of the romantic elements feel a little insincere. As noted previously, this book has certainly improved upon the “soap opera feeling,” but there is still some work to be done. Catrin and Marcellus do seem more stable in that they don’t flip-flop between “s/he loves me, s/he loves me not” thought processes, but their actions don’t demonstrate a genuine connection.

Readers that enjoyed Apollo’s Raven or generally enjoy the genres of historical fiction, romance, and fantasy will also relish Dagger’s Destiny. This book would be best suited to a mature audience. While there are some grammatical issues and aspects that feel a little insincere, these don’t take away from the reader’s overall experience. The story features strong women and well-developed characters that achieve growth throughout the book. While this book is a work of fiction filled with magic and mystery, the political and historical backdrop is well-researched and accurate, adding a sense of realism and balance. In all, I feel that I must rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Dagger's Destiny
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”