Official Review: YOU CAN SEE MORE FROM UP HERE

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Official Review: YOU CAN SEE MORE FROM UP HERE

Post by Julie Petitbon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "YOU CAN SEE MORE FROM UP HERE" by Mark Guerin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You Can See More from Up Here by Mark Guerin is a powerful and poignant debut novel. When forty-nine-year-old Walker Maguire learns that his father is in a coma, he reluctantly returns to Belford, Illinois. Walker’s homecoming brings up many unresolved issues that he has with his father and his past. To work out his conflicted feelings, Walker sits by his father’s hospital bed and begins to write about a relationship-changing series of events that occurred thirty years ago.

In the summer of 1974, Walker works at AMC, a car factory where his father, a retired Air Force colonel, serves as the company doctor. During one of his breaks, Walker is the sole witnesses of a violent incident between two coworkers. Afraid of his father’s wrath, Walker lies about the incident, which casts false blame on Manny, a Mexican immigrant. Feeling guilty, Walker then befriends Manny and works to right the wrong his lie instigates. However, when Manny and his family disappear before resolving the issue, Walker suspects and fears that his angry and violent father is responsible.

Walker learns more about that fateful summer from his best friend and sister, who both have a part in what happened. Alternating between the past and the present, the story reveals what years of estrangement, lack of communication, and unanswered questions do to a family. Furthermore, by including different perspectives from both the past and the present, the story also explores the notion that things are not always what they seem.

The intricately developed characters are complicated and realistic with messy lives and understandable baggage. Walker, for example, is a successful journalist who struggles to stay in one place. He has depression and anxiety, he does not maintain lasting relationships, and he fails to commit. His deep-seated anger at his father, as well as his reluctance to address his issues, has consumed his life. His father and sister serve as antagonists, but they are relatable and so skillfully developed that you can sometimes understand their frustrations and disappointments. Guerin masterfully creates dynamic characters that the reader can identify with and recognize.

What I love about this story is that it has so many layers to it. At the heart of the narrative is a failed father-son relationship, but it is also about how the events of the past shape people in the present. The story explores the harsh realities of racism, xenophobia, and a culture of hate and intolerance that is exacerbated by economic hardship. It exposes the struggle for power and the long-term and wide-ranging effects of alcoholism. It also focuses on unrequited love, friendship, betrayal, and lies. Finally, You Can See More from Up Here is a beautiful coming-of-age story about the complexities of family, forgiveness, and hope.

Furthermore, Guerin’s impressive use of figurative and sensory language is prevalent throughout the narrative. “Fortunately, I catch up with a phalanx of plows headed west, their yellow, gyrating lights beacons I can follow through the thrumming bursts of snow and gathering darkness.” The author’s style, word choice, and skillful use of literary elements add to the overall poignancy and beauty of the piece.

I gladly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I cannot think of one criticism to offer, as I thoroughly enjoyed this captivating story. It is impeccably edited and written, has dynamic, well-developed characters, and offers poignant, thought-provoking themes. However, it is inappropriate for young readers, as there is some profanity. Readers who enjoy family drama will love what this book has to offer.

YOU CAN SEE MORE FROM UP HERE
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This sounds like a captivating family drama. I like the way the author uses the events from the past to develop the story. This looks interesting. Thanks for your thorough review!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds Ike a wonderful book. I like how the author takes the time to examine the many layers. Thank you for a great review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
honestreviewer_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by honestreviewer_1 »

This book sounds like a great book to read. I like how she made it family drama and how she used the past actions with the people in the story to resolve a family issue.
Julie Petitbon

Post by Julie Petitbon »

kdstrack wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 21:52 This sounds like a captivating family drama. I like the way the author uses the events from the past to develop the story. This looks interesting. Thanks for your thorough review!
The events from the past were really interesting, and the way that the author tied the past and present together was pretty seamless. It's a great family drama!
Julie Petitbon

Post by Julie Petitbon »

MsH2k wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 01:55 This sounds Ike a wonderful book. I like how the author takes the time to examine the many layers. Thank you for a great review.
It is a fascinating story. I love books with many layers as well. It is definitely a book that makes you think. :)
Julie Petitbon

Post by Julie Petitbon »

honestreviewer_1 wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 20:31 This book sounds like a great book to read. I like how she made it family drama and how she used the past actions with the people in the story to resolve a family issue.
The flashbacks made the family drama really come to life. I like that recounting the past helped resolve their issues as well.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I think there's something to be said about books like this, where the sins of the past haunt us in the present. No doubt, Walker's experiences as a much younger man has continued to shape him into the book's present, though I can't see his relationship with his father being repaired, to be honest.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Yvonnebenji8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by Yvonnebenji8 »

From the review alone, you can tell how Walker has been through, the anger, a life that is not coming together because of unresolved issues. I will read this one with an open heart based on how clear the review is
Adelle v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelle-v.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Adelle v »

Sounds like a deep thought provoking story. It dwells on subjects not often talked about. Thanks for a great review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”