Review by DorcasToo -- Conflict on the Yangtze

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Review by DorcasToo -- Conflict on the Yangtze

Post by DorcasToo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Conflict on the Yangtze" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Conflict on the Yangtze does look like a continuation of the Warramunga series. Despite this the book can be read as a standalone.

Commander Daniel Stafford and his colleague Lee Drake are MI6 operatives based in Shanghai. They were left behind after the Japanese left to handle an opium smuggling operation to Australia and the Phillipines. One day as they head out to spy on the operations, it's quite deep in the river; they are met with a catastrophe. Daniel is shot twice, but Lee manages to escape and look for help. He contacts Johnny Cook at the headquarters who not only sends the Australian duo but joins in on this adventure.

Our friends Jamie Munro and Jacko are still running around capturing criminals around the world. And in this instalment they are headed to the Yangtze River in China on a very adventurous journey. As they land, they have to keep the operations under wraps as there are people in the government involved. A drug syndicate is being run and the source of the opium is the poppy fields in the Yangtze. The two spies Lee and Stafford had ventured into the fields during the day, and Jacko has to do it during the night. The events that follow this are such a thrill you have to read to enjoy.

Greg Kater never ever disappoints. Once more I am happy to have read this installment as it nursed my thriller ego. The book is well written quite predictable, but delivers a satisfactory punch to the reader. The plot has been constructed beautifully, and the storyline is just perfect. Despite this being a continuation of the same characters it's not a bore or repetitive that it would discourage the reader. Also, the author gives a background of sorts, so it can be read as a standalone.

The book still showcases the importance of family ties and friendship. Furthermore, the espionage theme is still a strong and major theme. I enjoyed reading the book as it flawless and has no errors. The editing has been done excellently. I found nothing negative about this book, so there's nothing to write about that. There are no filler chapters or gaps that could break the reading train. At 268 pages and 26 chapters the book delivers immense creativity and history.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. There's nothing to dislike in this book. I recommend this book to all espionage and crime thriller lovers. The book has some vulgar language and no erotic scenes, but it has some war scenes.

Conflict on the Yangtze
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

This sounds like a very interesting book! Since you recommend it so highly, I think I will add it to my reading list because I love spy-themed books.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”