Review by KitabuKizuri -- Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Nav...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KitabuKizuri
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 245
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Are Your Kids Naked Online? by Chris Good and Lisa Good

Review by KitabuKizuri -- Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Nav...

Post by KitabuKizuri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath" by Randy Miller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War and its Aftermath is a historical fiction book written by Randy Miller. It seems to be self-published.

Zachariah Martin was a young man living on a dairy farm with a dream of joining the armed forces. He wished to go further in life and experience more than farm life. When the opportunity came, he enlisted himself under his parent’s consent, and within a few months, the seventeen-year-old was reporting to duty on a destroyer called the Hawke. He left behind his girlfriend, Tally, with whom they kept in touch throughout his service to the navy.

While on the Hawke, Zack would work alongside other crew up and down the ranks as they fought an army difficult to identify thanks to their civilian attire, hard to locate thanks to ‘spider-holes’ that led to underground tunnel networks within a thick jungle, and hard to catch up with because of quick boats that could navigate shallow waters. Long after the war was over, they faced a new challenge after it was discovered that a chemical used to decimate the thick vegetative cover had gradually affected their health in a negative way.

The book is written in the third person mainly following Zach as he navigates the waters of being a naval officer in the middle of a war. What I liked most about the book is the author’s ability to juggle a busy plot without losing the reader. Apart from telling the story from the point of Zach, he also told it from the point of the US allies, the local Asian women, the communist soldiers behind enemy lines, etc. The characters were also relatable to the point of evoking emotional reactions, especially where humor is involved. I didn’t find much to dislike of the book apart from the fact that the depicted violence can be a bit unselling.

I would recommend the book to those who like historical fiction, war stories and lots of entertaining action. I may not recommend it to those averse to strong language, violence, and the like. It is definitely not suitable for a young audience either.

The book is meticulously edited, considering the author spelled words differently when depicting various local accents. If one has watched many movies, including classics where old American accents are recorded, it would be very easy to place how one sounds in relation to how the character’s words are spelled. Even Asian accents are easy to place in the reader’s imagination. This book is a great work of creation. I think it deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”