Review by roymutuma -- Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
roymutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roymutuma.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Review by roymutuma -- Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval ...

Post by roymutuma »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath" by Randy Miller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Deadly Waters: the Vietnam War and its aftermath by Randy Miller is an account of an adventure in the Vietnam War as the navy team. The book is inspired by the author’s four missions overseas defending the interests of the nation. Together with his comrades, they manoeuvre the tough terrain and adversaries, together with emerging as a brotherhood. This book is truly inspired. It goes a long way in showing that human beings can survive anything thrown at them, as long as they have the resolve to do it. To imagine that these poor soldiers survived so much for their country resonated with me, even though before reading this book I had very little knowledge of the happenings of the Vietnam War.

The story does not end with the end of the Vietnam War. Neither does it end when the deserving heroes come back home. This story portrays characters in such a relatable light. For example, I could clearly feel the mood the author intended to set when he wrote the dialogue of the characters coming back home. However, their hopes and dreams are short-lived. They soon discover the bureaucracy, inefficiency and outright horror that is the Department of Veteran Affairs. Here, they receive mediocre services, if at all any. The story, though tragic, goes a long way in advocating for the Veteran rights cause. Such heroes should be treated with as much respect as they deserve for their outstanding acts in war.

I loved how the story was delivered. The use of dialogue and the accents of the characters felt very raw to me. I love how fast-paced the book is. Every page has its turns and twists. The author is incredible at vividly describing his scenery. Clearly, he has lived it. He writes in a very real way, a way that one can only write from living through an experience, not merely researching the setting. Also, any book that highlights an injustice firsthand, from someone who has been affected by the broken system. The book is so well written, there is nothing I hate about it.

The book is edited very well. I barely found a typo. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in Veteran rights and want to read a first-hand story from someone who has experienced the ruthlessness of war. Also, it goes a long way in showing how cruel we treat our soldiers, who put themselves in the line of courage for our lives. However, the book contains instances of mild cussing, though it is nothing I would consider incredibly profane to prevent a young adult audience from reading it.

Overall, I’ll rate the book 4 out of 4 stars.

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”