Review by karendi jururi -- Deadly Waters: The Vietnam N...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
karendi jururi
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karendi-jururi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review by karendi jururi -- Deadly Waters: The Vietnam N...

Post by karendi jururi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath" by Randy Miller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I am fascinated by any historical fiction book. Honestly, I promised myself to be more diverse in my selection of literature, but I have to admit, I haven’t lived up to this promise. This is primarily because I found a book for review called, Deadly Water: the Vietnam war and its aftermath by Randy Miller. This book! Where do I begin? Once in a lifetime, one comes across a book that changes their whole perspective on matters that they had never but much thought or emphasis in, to begin with. I have to admit, I have always treated the war and its subjects and participates with as much distance and oblivion as I can possibly summon. Well, that was the reality, until I laid my hand on this book.

This book is a summary of accounts of the deadly waters, as is self-titled, of the Vietnam War. It details, with as all the creativity and research the author could summon, the horrors of war, which many writers tend to ignore. What made this piece of work particularly sentimental to me, is the detailing of post-war. It details the struggles of heroic soldiers, who now are presumed veterans of war. In essence, it portrayal the horror and absolute betrayal of the corrupt system, called the VA, that deals with Veteran affairs. We see, through the magical lenses of the author’s perspective, the absolute horror of the disregard and oblivion in which our current society treats those who fight for the freedoms we currently enjoy, albeit without thanks.

There is absolutely nothing I hate about the book. The structure, style and arrangement of paragraphs is remarkable. The use of imagery and dialogue is impeccable. The author demonstrated such profound literally skills in his ability to make us empathize with his characters and their cause. Clearly, judging from this review, I feel so passionately about the matter now, as opposed to how I did before.

The book is professionally edited. I barely found a typo. If you like books that mimic and detail the accounts of history in war, this is the perfect read for you. I do not think you have to be affected by the Vietnam War, or lived through the Vietnam era to enjoy the book. The characters are so relatable. However, if you like slow-paced books, this book might not be the one for you.

The author goes a long way into showing that, the enemies of war is not necessarily the aggressors. The enemy of us is war itself. Until we can contain our predispositions to start wars, such disregard for human dignity will always be present. You really should read this book. I’ll rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”