Review by jeminah28 -- Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jeminah28
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 5
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 680
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1089
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeminah28.html
Latest Review: Penelope Sherbanne by Susan Uriarte

Review by jeminah28 -- Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval ...

Post by jeminah28 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath" by Randy Miller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Leadership is good, but become bad when it falls in the wrong hands. Sometimes the world is unfair to the Navy fighters. Their dedication and sacrifices after the war does not worth the prize. DEADLY WATERS: THE VIETNAM WAR AND ITS AFTERMATH, unfold the story of the Vietnam Blue Water Navy Veterans in the works of fiction by Randy Miller. This is a heart-wrenching and action-packed novel, which is hard to put down despite the long story derived from true events. Young American men entered the Navy as a seaman apprentice like in the characters of the following men, namely, Zack, Howell and Eastman, who were dedicated to their job for the sake of winning the war.

The plot of the story is very realistic as the Navy approach Vietnam Waters, nearby is a clear description of a jungle. The jungle seems so relaxing when brilliant rays of the sun hit its beauty, but wait, a raging war still at hand; it will soon wipe the beautiful picturesque of nature. Both parties in the US Navy and the Viet Cong are very busy for attacking each other. Who is the most deserving of any help? Zach Martin noticed that all people are all the same striving to have a decent life (especially in protecting the family) whether in Vietnam, in the USA, in the Philippines (when they duck in Olongapo) and other parts of the world. Who is to be blamed of the war? Who is the most affected by this type of tragedy?

Readers will notice how Miller perfectly presented the setting in a peaceful atmosphere, and yet, peace is being interrupted by the will of man. Readers will easily know what type of temperament each character have, which I likely enjoy upon pondering in the seriousness of the event. The development of the characters is presented in a relatable manner, which will make you laugh and often times will also raise your brows. Some terms which are only jargon to the Navy world like apes, dogs, fish, and squid shows a humorous scene.

The author also highlights love stories, especially between Zach and Tally and another group of lovers, namely, Landry and Dalisay and Kearns and Liezel prove those marriages does not happen by accident, but it has a purpose. The supporting characters such as parents and true friends in the toughest times of life are vivid, yet it is so hard to find right this time. I also appreciate Miller included the bond between siblings (brother to a sister) because those moments reminds me of my own brothers. Plus, the lifestyle of a Navy back home is the most awaiting part, rich or poor, Miller makes a good synopsis of them.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for the author has a courage to tell the world in a simple story about the account of the Vietnam Navy Veterans as well as the story of Agent Orange, which causes a lot of casualties. I like how the author portrays friendship, marriages, enemies and places as diversities in a raging war event. In conclusion, the flow of the novel is easy to ponder in a well-written passage. I did not notice any typos, though the 'hillbilly dialect' as stated in the novel sometimes distracts me a bit. To a lover of this genre: do not read this book when you are not in a good mood because you will be missing a lot of things. This book is perfectly matched to history lovers only.

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: 2612 Cherryhill Lane by Glenn Vo

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a good story not only about Agent Orange but also about the war itself and interpersonal relationships. Thank you for a very informative and interesting review!

MsH2k
Favorite Book: The Oracle
Currently Reading: More Than a Dog’s Tale
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: The Periodic Table of Character Traits by Michael Lawson

Post by MsH2k »

jeminah28 wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 03:43
the author has a courage to tell the world in a simple story about the account of the Vietnam Navy Veterans as well as the story of Agent Orange
It was amazing how the author turned this difficult story into a captivating novel. Thank you for your review.

tristenb
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by tristenb »

I've been considering reading this book. It sounds like a captivating story. I especially love how the author captures the setting. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”