Official Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dolor
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Official Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon

Post by Dolor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Center of Gravity" by Patricia Brandon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cotterena "Sonne" Becker was not spared from Nazi atrocities during the Third Reich. She was one of Adolf Hitler's fifteen food testers who were confined in the Wolf's Lair. Mesmerized by her beauty and family background, Adolf Hitler personally chose to have a baby with her through insemination.

With Adolf Hitler's command, European Jews were exterminated - including Josef Taffel - Rainer von Bauchelle's childhood friend. As a professor and connoisseur of fine art, Rainer was forced to work for the Nazis as a curator of the Amber Room in Konigsberg where he met the distressed Sonne. Rainer and Sonne fled the country, but can they run away from the aftermath of the Nazi nightmares?

The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon is a historical fiction set in Germany, East Prussia, France, and the United States from early 1933 to late 1975. Both prologue and epilogue are narrated in the first-person perspective of Rennie Easter (Rainer and Sonne's daughter). The fifty-four chapters are third-person narrations following Sonne, Rainer, and Rennie.

Among the vast characters mentioned in this story, I like Sonne the most. Aside from her desirable appearance, her resilience is very impressive. Her reactions to the aftermath of Nazi horrors make her character realistic. I admire the strong bond of friendship between Rainer and Josef. They are inseparable despite their difference in faith. The antagonists (the Nazis) are despicable.

My favorite quote is the Latin word "Memento Mori" which Patricia explained this way (copy-pasted as is): “It means to remember that you are mortal! That you should make your life count for good while you can!” She gives substance to the words which simply mean "remember death". I love her writing style and proficiency in cinematic storytelling. This fast-paced tale has perfectly braided twists and turns. Readers won't be able to guess what will happen next. This story will surely be among the blockbuster movies if filmed.

This book is Patricia's first take on writing, but she got me on the edge of my seat from the beginning of the story until the end. In one sitting, I reached the end page - five hundred nine. The story explored human emotions. I felt the thrill, fear, anger, contempt, uncertainty, despair, hope, love, and giddiness that the author masterfully peppered in the contents. The ending was superb, and I adored Patricia's expertise in tying up loose ends.

I found nothing unlikable in this book. However, the very descriptive brutalities of the Nazis and some sensual descriptions made this book not suitable for young and faint-hearted readers. There were mentions about Christianity and Judaism, but these could not limit the audience to Christians and Jews only. I saw punctuation, spacing, and typo errors that did not distract my reading flow. I rate Patricia Brandon's The Center of Gravity 4 out of 4 stars. Fans of historical fiction will love this book and long for more. Patricia, please write more books. You've got a fan in me.

The Center of Gravity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Nickolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Journey by Elayne Schulman

Post by Nickolas Farmakis »

Great review. This is an interesting book I would want to read in the future.

Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Ruby by Cathy Coburn

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks so much for the awesome review. I love to read historical fiction novels and this sounds like one I need to read.
Latest Review: Ruby by Cathy Coburn

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 364
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Book 1 : Birth Into Darkness by WJR Parks

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like quite the book. I enjoy fiction novels revolving around the Nazis. The characters in this seem realistic, and I must put this on my list. The atrocities are difficult to read about, but it's something we must do in my opinion. Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Falconcrest
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 73
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

This sounds like an interesting book and will be time well spent. The atrocities carried out by the Nazis are things that the world will never forget. They were brutal and without just cause. The ugly face of discrimination was clearly shown during that period. I will be reading this book and thank you for an outstanding review.

MustaHarleen
Currently Reading: Warrior of Shadows: The Final Battle
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mustaharleen.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by MustaHarleen »

That's an interesting title for a Nazi story. I would love to understand what it truly depicts in the storyline. Thanks for a great review.

Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Capturing a pandemic - a middle schoolers perspective by Sriman Goli
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I fell like I've read this before, but I know I haven't. It reminds me a bit of The Da Vinci Code, but focused on the actual ancestors rather than the descendents. It must have bern terrible for Sonne to not only work fot Hitler but be impregnated by him, so I can only imagine how strong she wss as a character.

Thanks for this.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Historical Fiction”