Review by Titilayomt -- Skills of the Warramunga

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Titilayomt
Currently Reading: The Judge
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-titilayomt.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth Munk's Forest Edge Adventure by Faye McFarland

Review by Titilayomt -- Skills of the Warramunga

Post by Titilayomt »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Skills of Warramunga is written by Greg Kater. It's the third book in the Warramunga trilogy set in Malaya but it's perfect as a stand alone novel. It's an historical fiction that includes theft, murder and kidnapping.
Colonel Johnny Cook, a British Officer was kidnapped and Jamie Munroe and Jack O'Brien who were war buddies were called from Australia to track and rescue Johnny Cook in the jungle of Malaya. They were chosen because they once worked for Johnny Cook and they saw this as a great opportunity to be back together once they find him.
As soon as they got to Malaya, they discovered the plans of the Malayans for an independence and how they want the natives to rule the country. They also discovered the hideouts of the Japanese and Germans after the end of the war with intention of being in power.
Many conflicts sprang up as each of these groups brought fighters with special skills and many act of conflicts took place. Murder and kidnappings occured and there were searches through the jungle to get back those kidnapped. It's a story that most people will love to read because of the many twist and turns as well as sweet romantic moments.
While the search was ongoing for Johnny, a robbery and two murders took place at the tin mine and Pieter de Groote reported the crime. But, he wasn't found anywhere and therefore became a suspect. The burglaries and violence became high and the local law enforcement began to relate the incidence with a rumoured criminal organizations that are hell bent on disrupting the Malayan Union ceremony about to take place. As soon as they found out about Johnny's kidnap due to a mistaken identity, they all sprung into action.
The characters, suspense and the plot itself is enough to make this book hard to put down because I always find it difficult to stop once I start reading. One thing I found difficult to understand in the book was the ranks of the military men and the acronyms, but, i did learn some new things as I was able to check out some of these acronyms..
Before I started reading the book, I was skeptical about it because I haven't read the two earlier series but as soon as I started reading it, i found it difficult to stop reading.
I enjoyed the native dialects used in the book and the way the author incorporated them into the drama. I also found the book humorous because most of the dialogues were entertaining. The editing was top-notch too and i think it was professionally edited
I never came across any error depite the length of the book and I like the fact that it doesn't contain graphic scenes despite the violence. It is a suspense-filled, well-written, interesting and highly informative pieces that I'll love to read over and over again. Also, I'll be reading the earlier series very soon and I'll give it 4 out of 4 over and over again.

Skills of the Warramunga
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”