Review by maxiphemmax -- Deceitful Survival by LC Lee

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maxiphemmax.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by maxiphemmax -- Deceitful Survival by LC Lee

Post by maxiphemmax »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Deceitful Survival" by LC Lee.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Deceitful survival by LC Lee followed the story of Andrée, a nun sent for missionary work in Haiti. Although formerly known as Elizabeth, born of an alcoholic father who murdered her mother for unverified infidelity. Forced to live with her taskmaster aunt before joining the Sisters of Ursuline to become a nun. With her mother’s death and the capture of her convent by the Vodun who threatens to kill René the love of her life, and jail time from the Spanish ruler, Andrée had no choice than to survive by any means possible.

Deceitful survival is a romance and historical-based novel. The book mainly follows Sister Andrée perspective on life and commitments as she grows up. Though faced with a language barrier, she was still able to learn each language needed for her survival. As a nun, she is mostly confronted with a problem relating to emotions and romance coupled with her inexperience about her body, which most in the entire story conflict with her vows. After being sent back to Haiti against her wish, Andrée got her next exit door while dressed up as a René. How was she able to escape from Haiti? Is she going to ever get her wish granted? Will her secret get revealed? These questions are answered in this book.

Andrée character as a nun was thoughtfully implemented, and very similar to real-life scenarios. It shows all humans do have feelings, irrespective of different religious calling. The angelic presence of Mico, Ana and others also helped make the story more of family, love and romance. Reading this book will not only intimate you of the different hierarchy in the Roman Catholic system but also give the few details of how women are less empowered. The story also brings to mind what missionary and the church went through to bring about civilisation and enlightenment. In my opinion, I would have loved Lee to give some details regarding the reunion between Andrée and his two brothers. In addition, the story of Ana, Mico and the Vodun are worth writing on.

I generally enjoyed this book as it was well edited with just right amount of suspense and no vulgar or profane word. Although I did find a couple of minor errors but has little or no significant effect on the readers.

As a reviewer, I rate Deceitful Survival by Lee 3 out of 4 stars because, as interesting as the storyline was, I am a little annoyed by the author’s long description of place or thing. It makes it boring and a little dull with unnecessary emphasis. I also did not understand the unnecessary lagging over trivial situations of Andrée, especially with Carlos even with Mico at the start. Overall, this book has few erotic scenes with a scale of 3 and will, therefore, recommend this book to any readers who love historical fiction stories, involving politics, love, and romance.

Deceitful Survival
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bukola02
Currently Reading: Prince Player
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukola02.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Bukola02 »

I like Andrea's character so well. Her surviving tactics is somehow questionable but she had no choice. Thanks for this great review.
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:

Post by maxiphemmax »

Bukola02 wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 03:45 I like Andrea's character so well. Her surviving tactics is somehow questionable but she had no choice. Thanks for this great review.
Exactly, she had to. Thanks for stopping by.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

I love this book and the storyline is appealing to the mind of the readers. Andrée's character is filled with lessons to learn. Nice review.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:

Post by maxiphemmax »

Orizon wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 08:18 I love this book and the storyline is appealing to the mind of the readers. Andrée's character is filled with lessons to learn. Nice review.
Exactly true. thanks Orizon
xoxoAnushka
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by xoxoAnushka »

It'd be interesting to read a historical romance book having a resilient protoganist. Nice review!
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I always admire authors whose books portray characters that relatable to real life scenario. Thank you for the honest review.
Fem187
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fem187.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Fem187 »

Andrée is a nun sent for missionary work in Haiti. She was formerly known as Elizabeth born to an alcoholic father that murdered her mother for infidelity. Elizabeth lived with her cruel aunt before joining the Sisters of Ursuline to become a nun. Check out this interesting story and you will surely love it. Nice review.
Pstodumeje
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pstodumeje.html

Post by Pstodumeje »

The cover of this book looks intriguing. The review also says it all. Romance and historical novels are often nice to read. The review says it all.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I would be interested to see how her beliefs affected her actions and decisions. Sounds like a good book.
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:

Post by maxiphemmax »

teacherjh wrote: 21 May 2020, 04:10 I would be interested to see how her beliefs affected her actions and decisions. Sounds like a good book.
it really is. When all things else fails and surviving is the only thing on her mind, she has no choice than to blend in, sounds bad but the only way to live.
Veraok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veraok.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Veraok »

This historical thriller is one it's kind, though I am not a fan of historical story but I think give this a trial won't be a bad idea. Great review
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:

Post by maxiphemmax »

Veraok wrote: 24 May 2020, 19:01 This historical thriller is one it's kind, though I am not a fan of historical story but I think give this a trial won't be a bad idea. Great review
[/quute]

Surely you won't.
Thanks for the comment
KenzyO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by KenzyO »

This review give a snapshot of the different hierarchy in the Roman catholic system and how women are less empowered. missionary's journey is surely not an easy one, especially before civilisation. Nice review.
Annie2019
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annie2019.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Annie2019 »

I have read the book and its amazing! I love Andree's character, determination, and strength not to allow anything weigh her down despite her background. Situations of life made her be what she was left with no choices in life. She tried her best just to survive! This is a well-edited and proofread historical book with relevant characters playing key different roles.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”