Official Review: Heks Island -Earth. by Pat Harris

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Whitaker
2017 Reading Goal: 35
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 74
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Blueberry Lu by Lisa Goff

Official Review: Heks Island -Earth. by Pat Harris

Post by Mallory Whitaker » 21 Oct 2019, 03:25

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Heks Island -Earth." by Pat Harris.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heks Island - Earth: Refuge in the Okefenokee Swamp is the first book in Pat Harris's Heks Island Okefenokee Swamp Adventures series.

The novel starts in 1885. Dr. Ben Bouvier, who has just finished up his medical internship at an asylum in Florida, is moving to Waycross, Georgia, to be closer to his only living relatives -- his brother, Nat, and Nat's wife, Hazel. Ben dreams of opening a private practice, having a place to call home, and starting a family. These dreams slip through his fingers when he's wrongfully accused of murder.

With an angry mob at his heels, he seeks refuge in the Okefenokee Swamp. Luckily for him, he isn't left to fend for himself for long. Ben is rescued by Hattie, the leader of Heks Island, a hidden community full of society's outcasts. With these people, Ben creates a new life for himself, while also holding onto some of his life back in Waycross.

At its heart, this novel is about Ben's quest for family and a sense of belonging. Magic and the supernatural also play a substantial part. Hattie performs several spells (and only speaks in rhyme), and there are voodoo elements as well.

Other than some mature themes, this reads like some of my favorite children's books (like Hatchett or The Little House series). This is because a large portion of the story encompasses Ben's adjustment to living in the swamp. He has to learn how to build shelter, hunt, cook, etc. These are all explained in meticulous detail. The research that has gone into this book is truly remarkable. Only one detail is historically inaccurate, and Harris points this out at the beginning of the book. I always appreciate it when historical fiction authors are upfront about any liberties they've taken with history.

While the research and his loving descriptions of the Okefenokee Swamp shine, the characterization falls a bit flat. There's an awful lot of showing and not much telling. Ben's character seems better suited for a children's book. Despite having only just finished his medical internship, he always knows just what to do to save someone's life. The things that go wrong in his life are rarely his fault. In the official summary of the book, Harris says that Ben's life spins out of control thanks to "betrayal, voodoo and plain bad luck," and that's precisely what happens. He does show some growth, though; he grows from a somewhat helpless young man into someone confident and daring. Many of the people on the island blur together, but there are a few standouts. Monique, a young woman who has truly been dealt a terrible hand in life, was my favorite character.

The absence of "show, don't tell" also harmed the dialogue as well, which was often stilted. Additionally, Hattie could sometimes be challenging to follow, thanks to always talking in rhyme. She had to say a lot to say a little (and then still managed to be cryptic about it). Monique, the one character who had difficulty speaking, actually had the most interesting dialogue. All of that being said, each of the characters on the island had a unique voice. Most of the characters in the real world (other than those they wanted to show were poor or uneducated), all sounded the same.

The story was told in the third person with alternating focal characters. This helped to give some depth to characters other than Ben, namely Hattie and Monique. It was also interesting because it showed things from the perspective of the "villain" in town, and illustrated how predatory they were.

If you like slow-paced novels that focus on the day-to-day life of multiple characters, then you should give this book a shot. If you have any interest in swamps or tales about living off the land, I think you'd really enjoy reading this. However, if you like a lot of suspense or nuanced characters, I'd recommend skipping this one. Additionally, if reading about magic and voodoo doesn't interest you, you might want to pass on this book. I would not recommend this to younger readers due to references of incestual rape, abortion, and a group of people threatening to kill a baby born with a genetic disorder. Additionally, the N-word is used once.

There are numerous errors throughout the book; they include missing quotation marks, improper capitalization, and missing articles. The errors, in addition to the somewhat weak characterization and stilted dialogue, are the reason I give this book 2 out of 4 stars. I didn't rate it lower because the research is honestly incredible, and I thought the details about surviving in the swamp were pretty interesting.

Heks Island -Earth.
View: on Bookshelves

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Favorite Book: Every Heart a Doorway
Currently Reading: For a few demons more
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora » 01 Dec 2019, 05:04

There is always a balance that needs to go with show don't tell. And rich dialogue not only helps propel a story, but also supports character personalities. I'll have to pass on this one. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

missfrombliss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missfrombliss.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by missfrombliss » 01 Dec 2019, 10:38

I like a well researched book but I can't pass lack of charachterization and grammar errors.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 137
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Dear Siena by Ashley Girres

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 01 Dec 2019, 12:28

While I like the premise of this book, I think I will pass due to the issues with editing. Thanks for a thorough review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 83
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Only with Blood by Therese Down

Post by kandscreeley » 01 Dec 2019, 18:42

I've read books like this before. The author just covers so many details that the reader doesn't want to know. It's too bad as the premise sounds interesting. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Miller56 » 02 Dec 2019, 12:09

Thanks for the review. This sounds like it had lots of potential and fell a little short. I think I will pass.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 118
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Winter in Full Bloom
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Last Man at the Inn by R. William Bennett

Post by kdstrack » 04 Dec 2019, 15:29

The beginning made this look like an interesting read. Hattie seems to be quite an interesting character. I don't think this one would hold my interest, though. I appreciate you insights and your honest comments. Thanks.

kperm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: The Four Hats by Drake E. Taylor

Post by kperm » 05 Dec 2019, 15:53

I will pass on this book due to poor editing. I believe that professional editing is essential for a book. Thank you for an honest review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”