Review by Mwanyalo -- Skills of the Warramunga

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mwanyalo
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwanyalo.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Review by Mwanyalo -- Skills of the Warramunga

Post by Mwanyalo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book began with a tense feeling that makes the reader gripped up with by the emotional tense feeling and horror.As one continues reading this book, one finds it very adventurous as eventually, the writer directs the reader's mind deep into the jungle, where the Colonel has to survive in perilous situations where even he can't understand the language.

Although, i have never been in a military before, i find the book being interesting with the combat imagery of some cultural influence.The story begins in a low tone when Colonel Johnny Cook,the M16 Head of Operations flew from London to Singapore in mid-March 1946 to assist the new Malayan Security Service (MSS), which is an Intelligence agency for the region,set up by the British.This is whereby, Jonny Cook navigated in the Cameroon highlands with the car which he borrowed from Major Magie Browning, the Chief of the MSS station in Kuala Lumpur.

Behind the story, the characters are unique and interesting:From Colonel Johnny Cook,to Tan Boon Cheng, Jacko, Jamie Munro and the others.To add on that, there were some inspiring facts that made Colonel Johnny to get determined An example is in page3;''No point in losing hope and wallowing in despair. He would endure whatever these people had in store for him...''Other determined facts are also found in page 4...'Ignoring the barbed leaves and bamboo sticks scratching his skin...determined to show no sign of weakness'.The writer also employs another literary technique like outer dialogue which has been portrayed throughout the book and this was to adding reader's understanding of a character's personality.

However,the grammatical mistakes in this book are unnoticeable such that, they don't affect the overall flow of the context of the reading.Moreover, the title of the book,has intrigued me to read more so that i may find out the skills which the writer portrays because like many military men in different situations during war-times,they require the skills for such narrow escapes.I would rate this book with 4 stars out of 4 since the October Book of this Month 'Skills of the Warramunga' has vivid settings, political intrigue and spanking war that can be felt by the reader.

The book comes up with familiarity with the dialogues portraying conflict and violent scenes.I would therefore, not recommend the children under eighteen years to read it.Also, people who don't like brutality and harsh speeches, should avoid this book as well.However, the military men and whoever working in relation to security mission operations, will really enjoy this book.

Skills of the Warramunga
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”